Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Eee PC, any good?

techguy
Grafter

The Eee PC, any good?

Hi
Thinking about buying a Windows based one of those as we have full Wi-Fi coverage at work and will be studying and it woud be good to have study material on a machine next to work PC so can multi-task.
Anyone bought one? What do you think of it?
49 REPLIES 49
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The Eee PC, any good?

I have the original 701 4g with linux, screen just about OK , keyboard a tad too small, Just got a cheap roll up plastic one from Argos £3.99,  Works a treat for me away from Home, Had a problem with WPA on WiFi with Linux, Not supported, but WEP OK, might be OK with XP though
take a look at http://www.december.com/john/info/eeepc.html for very good info - mods etc.
alanb
Grafter

I've got two. A 701 4G and 900A 8G, both with the heavily customised Xandros Linux o/s. They're lovely machines, and very well made as you'd expect from Asus. I like them a lot, but I'm not a demanding user, I only use them for a bit of browsing and word-processing while on the move. They perform this sort of role admirably.
I've found the size and resolution of the seven-inch screen of the 701 to be too small for web browsing, which is why I decided to get a 900A. The higher resolution nine-inch screen seems just right for my needs. I've not had problems with the small keyboard, it's very similar to a tiny Compaq notebook I had around 1995.
If you're looking for a laptop replacement, you might find the performance of the eee slightly disappointing. They're not as powerful as a modern budget laptop, and I'd suggest that the more expensive eee models are poor value for money compared to a budget laptop for a similar price. It's better to think of the eee machines as a super PDA, a bit like a larger Psion (for those that remember them) with better applications. And probably more customisable than a Psion too. (In a PDA type of role, I'd say the Linux version offers better value.)
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Had a problem with WPA on WiFi with Linux, Not supported, but WEP OK, might be OK with XP though

Did we not sort your WPA problem out by telling you to remove the spaces from your pass code?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did have a good read, but didnt go any further,  is it a easy as they say?  the forums didnt seem to be sure
pierre_pierre
Grafter

To be Honest Chilly I am a Dos and windows man, th first part of the instruction to men are written in Chinese
Download the wpa_supplicant from a Debian repository
First, it's a good idea to save the wpa_supplicant binaries that were included in the default installation.
tar jcf /home/user/old_wpa_supplicant.tar.bz /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant /usr/sbin/wpa_cli
Then remove them.
sudo rm -v /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant /usr/sbin/wpa_cli
Now download and install the Debian wpasupplicant. This may be accomplished by using apt-get (if you have previously set up your repo's from:http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos):
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
Or, downloading the package and installing it by hand:
      Package location http://packages.debian.org/etch/i386/wpasupplicant/download
      Install the new package, by executing this command:
  sudo dpkg -i <path to downloaded deb>/wpasupplicant_0.5.5-2_i386.deb
Install new madwifi drivers
techguy
Grafter

Blimey they are nearly the price of a full size notebook.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yes the top end ones are not a good buy, you can still get the smaller 701 and 900 at reasonable price, seen 701 this week at less than £200, as low as £160 I think
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Personaly I can't stand webbooks, or netbooks, or whatever they are calling themselfs now.  I just think the whole idea is silly.  if size is an isue get a palmPC or a blackberry, if it's a computer you want get a laptop.  I vote for "gimmicky waste of money" myself Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Think I'll buy a Toshiba notebook, did not want to lug about a full size laptop but do need the services of a PC OS rather than a phone.
I will NEVER ever carry a Blackberry or Palm, a corporate mobile maybe a necessary evil in the future but never want anything I am supposed to read e-mail on so can never come the cry "why did you not respond to that mail I sent you at 9.30 p.m. last night?"
"Errr, because I was at home/at the pub/otherwise having a life"
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

just tell everyone that blackberrys / palms have a notorious battery fault that causes them to sporadicly turn off with no warning or notice, as such you had no idea that the mail had arrived. Or (and I think this one will appeal to you) hit the sender up with "I would have replyed but I charge £160 an hour or part there of after 5pm and I didn't think you wanted to pay that to see 'ok I'll look into it in the morning'" Grin
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: MuppetGrinder
Personaly I can't stand webbooks, or netbooks, or whatever they are calling themselfs now.  I just think the whole idea is silly.  if size is an isue get a palmPC or a blackberry, if it's a computer you want get a laptop.  I vote for "gimmicky waste of money" myself Smiley

Hmm, I can see that point but from my POV it would be very handy (not that I can even afford one!). I could happily carry one of these around with me at work and use it during a teabreak with a 3G connection. Great idea I'd say - small yet still windows based. I'd hate to be stuck with a blackberry or psion... Sure years ago the psions looked to be the next best thing but these days they just look... weird. I don't think I'd get along with a linux version though... I do admire the linux OS and effort but its a mammoth task to try and become an in depth linux man after so many years of windows - its like starting all over again - except you understand the basics.
I could also find many other uses for these too..... wireless nodes, carputer, network node for controlling hardware etc... The smaller PC hardware is and the more customisable its software becomes the more opportunities and uses these things have.
Personally I can't wait for them to start becoming realistically priced - EG under £99. When that happens I think I'll be buying a few.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I wrote a little blog about my eee last year
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/05/15/first-impressions-on-my-asus-eee/
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Hmm, I can see that point but from my POV it would be very handy (not that I can even afford one!). I could happily carry one of these around with me at work and use it during a teabreak with a 3G connection. Great idea I'd say - small yet still windows based. I'd hate to be stuck with a blackberry or psion... Sure years ago the psions looked to be the next best thing but these days they just look... weird. I don't think I'd get along with a linux version though... I do admire the linux OS and effort but its a mammoth task to try and become an in depth linux man after so many years of windows - its like starting all over again - except you understand the basics.
I could also find many other uses for these too..... wireless nodes, carputer, network node for controlling hardware etc... The smaller PC hardware is and the more customisable its software becomes the more opportunities and uses these things have.
Personally I can't wait for them to start becoming realistically priced - EG under £99. When that happens I think I'll be buying a few.

OK....what about an HTC? http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/google/phone/HTC_Touch_HD/?gclid=CPvlyv7onJgCFQoh3god9xldnA HD playback, Windows Mobile edt, 3G, GPRS, WiFi, USB Network, even supports Active Push for Exchange mail Server sync'ing.  If portability is the issue what's wrong with that?
As for ure other uses...Wireless Node? you mean like a Wireless relay point, like what you can get now for about £25? Carputer?? erm never heard of one of these so don't know what exactly it is, but if it's what it sounds like you must be mental.  The only computers in a car should be used by the car, or safe in a case somewhere.  I can't even see how you would justify allowing a passanger to use a computer in a car because of the distraction it would cause the driver.  and as for a network hardware controler, what's wrong with a virtual machine on your existing server...takes up even less space, and you get a LOT more fault tollerance and disaster recovery.  IMO these things dont do anything that can't be done already.  You want 3g access wherever you are and Windows Vista Ultimate then get a laptop and a 3G modem.  You want a windows platform on an ittsy bittsy little thing you'r probably gonna lose in a fortnight, get an HTC.  There is already somthing out there that does exactly what netbook does only better.  The only reason to buy one of these is so you can show off to your friends and coligues for those 3 min before they work out what a total waste it was getting one.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you mean this model HTC