Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Eee PC, any good?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: The Eee PC, any good?

Quote from: pierre_pierre
@ Ozzy again, this is old technology, all our prototype vehicles were fitted with such a device in about 94 and could  indeed be traced to make sure that they were doing something productive, a fleet of maybe 1000 plus vehicles, didnt have a separate computer, all built into one unit, and what was 3g then?  just about changing from analogue cell to digital

Lol took me a moment to realise you were talking to me Tongue
I knew the tech had been around for ages but traditionally its always been a bit expensive for its limited functionality. With a full blown windows system you can have many things going on - GPS, sat nav, stereo, OBD2 interface, etc etc. Now considering the cost of mini-itx hardware these days a full carputer with all the features could be built up and installed for about £500 I'd reckon and it would be upgradeable by the owner! No expensive maintenance or upgrade contracts etc. If I had the spare cash I'd certainly do it myself! I know some people think a full computer is a bit of an overkill but it would allow so much flexibility that you wouldn't be limited for future uses.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
techguy
Grafter

I'm probably going to need one of these when I hit the road http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/
Not sure I can link it to PN though.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about

Sun Visor Monitor - SVI7-702TVR
Price (piece): £103.00

High quality 7 inch Sun visor DVD Player and Monitor set. Comes with many built in functions, including: Touch Screen, FM transmission, TV function + antenna, OSD menu. This Wholesale Sun Visor DVD Player can play DVD, DVD Audio, DVD-R /W, HDVD, DVCD, DVIX, MP3, MP4, CD-R /W and VCD formats.
Accessories
      Power/AV input line
      TV Antenna
      Installation components
    Remote Control
      English Manual

See http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/061f2cabdef859b1c939976bcb...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I havnt check the law, but I think it is illegal to have a video screen in view of the driver
techguy
Grafter

Very nice
My intent eventually is to work for myself so could have one of these setups in my car, linked by Wi-FI to a secure server for business applications, files and customer data so I can work wherever as don't like offces and don't want to be tied to one.

@pierre, think its ok provided its not in operation when the vehicle is in motion, for example in a Mercedes you have the option of a navigation system that can play DVDs and you can watch TV but it auto deactivates when you put the automatic transmission into Drive or Reverse.
7up
Community Veteran

pierre is correct. It's illegal to have one of these in front of the driver. In the middle of the dash or on the passenger side however IS legal. No idea where you would stand if you had the screen setup to turn off when the vehicle is moving though... I suppose it would be down to the police and courts to decide if its actually a risk or a breach of the law.
@techguy you'd need a 3G internet connection - Not wifi as you'd be limited to certain locations with wifi - EG outside public hotspots. 3G gives you your own personal mobile broadband which is why I was saying it could be used in conjunction with a GPS module to track the car in real time. Even disable the ignition if its been stolen.
techguy
Grafter

I stand corrected.
Would park outside places with free Wi-Fi as 3G data is a little too expense (at present anyway)
7up
Community Veteran

The thing is though, finding a place to park with the number of parking restrictions we have in force today is a very tall order. Then you've got to know the hotspot is even there... or go war driving which is a distraction to a driver...
Personally I'd go with the 3G although I do see what you're saying.
Also another use for a carputer is onboard video of the vehicle. Someone been a bad boy and smashed you up? 4 cameras covering all sides of the car would be undisputable evidience of who did what and who's fault the accident is. Plus the ability to upload it to a server via 3G... Prang, click a button the last 5 minutes of video are uploaded.
There are so many uses...
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
I stand corrected.
Would park outside places with free Wi-Fi as 3G data is a little too expense (at present anyway)

3G data is cheap compared to what the GPRS costs was 6 years ago.
The vodafone pay as you go dongle option looks good value with top ups that don't expire.  It is £15 per GB but it lasts till you use up all that GB (as long as its not left for over a certain length of time without any usage at all).
zubel
Community Veteran

I have a CarPC
It basically holds a subset of my music collection, and presents it all via an on-screen, touchscreen interface.
It also is wired via OBD2 into my car so I can monitor hundreds of sensors in my car.
It also does satnav
I can also allow passengers to watch movies on it
Oh, and satellite radio
and it acts as a handsfree for my mobile phone via bluetooth.
B.
Santiago
Grafter

I think Techguy just turned very green Grin
7up
Community Veteran

Barry I'm so jealous!
Any pics to share with us?
zubel
Community Veteran

I'll see if I can find some pictures I took of the installation..
Should have some lying around somewhere Smiley
B.
techguy
Grafter

You sure you are driving a car there Barry, sounds more like an armoured personnel carrier to me!
7up
Community Veteran

Any pics yet Barry? I'm can't wait to see it!