Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank God for my UPS.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Thank God for my UPS.

Quote from: techguy
Think I'll invest in one of those Cat generators to power my house like we have as backup for critical systems at work.

Nah - Buy a Prius car Linky
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

Maybe I'll forward that to my boss who drives one, I'm sure she'd be very interested particularly as she goes round switching off peoples PCs which they leave on because it takes so darn long to log on at the beginning of a shift.
Lurker
Grafter

Education is your answer for that one Mitch, either educate the users to stop hoarding so much junk in their roaming profiles, or educate your IT Dept to configure the network optimally.
In an environment of XP Pro and later machines reading Server 2003 and later DCs, it should take very little time to log onto a users normal workstation with the correct configuration.
If its taking long enough to frustrate users to that extent, the IT Dept is not doing their job correctly in the majority of cases. (Clearly I don't know the nature of your network, but it does sound like something is not set up as well as it should be.)
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Quote from: jelv

Maybe I'll forward that to my boss who drives one, I'm sure she'd be very interested particularly as she goes round switching off peoples PCs which they leave on because it takes so darn long to log on at the beginning of a shift.

Been there done that almost 2 years ago with my '98 Seat Ibiza. I have on 2 occasions used this to power the tv etc in the house during power failures. My computers obviously use the UPS.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have to ask Sean, where do you keep your driving gloves?
seanbranagh
Grafter

LoL. I don't know anyone who actually uses driving gloves.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Education is your answer for that one Mitch, either educate the users to stop hoarding so much junk in their roaming profiles, or educate your IT Dept to configure the network optimally.
In an environment of XP Pro and later machines reading Server 2003 and later DCs, it should take very little time to log onto a users normal workstation with the correct configuration.
If its taking long enough to frustrate users to that extent, the IT Dept is not doing their job correctly in the majority of cases. (Clearly I don't know the nature of your network, but it does sound like something is not set up as well as it should be.)

Well a WSH script is used to check the patch level of a desktop and management seem to love the idea of all our applications being java based and therefore running in a browser on a P4 3 Ghz, it took a lot of arguing to up the RAM to 2 Gig from 512 MB!
If it was down to me yes things would be radically different but hey I just work there.