cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text to Speech phone help....

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Text to Speech phone help....

I`ve been all over the internet and cannot find the simplistic answer to this, so hope you guys can shine a light on it as it`s literally driving me mad!

Bought a refurbished/returned Alcatel Pixi 4 (5" inch) smartphone from Curry`s/PC world ebay outlet last week for a measly £22. Good little basic level entry Smartphone for me as I`m still using 2g phones and love them, but need to move with the times so got this phone to get me started. Everything works fine, except when I send a text, I get a message back saying, "Text to Speech message has been rejected by recipient phone"....so have sent a few texts and the same thing is happening. Still being charged by 3 network for sending them though!

So I have googled frantically and it seems phones can have this Text to Speech setting on the phone and I can see in the Settings> language Input> text to speech and the choices to choose language etc....

BUT...I switched all the on/off buttons to OFF and can`t get rid of this function. I`ve even turned off the voice keyboard and am using the default English keyboard. Nothing.....

I`m sure this is a google app that runs this text to speech and speech to text function, but I`m losing the will to live because I still can`t send a text message that the recipient is receiving in text and just get this same message back saying rejected by recipient phone?

Help. Embarrassed

10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Text to Speech phone help....

Had a couple of Alcatel land line phones when we lived in France and they were rubbish then and I suspect are rubbish now. 

Hope you get it to it to sorted. Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

I actually had an Alcatel feature phone not too long ago that I bought off an ebay business seller and found the texting even on that phone was a night mare. Couldn`t get it to switch off predictive text for love nor money. I sold it on for £10 to a local shop and was glad to get rid. I just hope I haven`t made the same mistake with this phone although I`m sure it`s a setting glitch as I can type out a text message. send it, but then this `Text to Speech` thing stops it from being accepted or opened at the recipient end. It`s probably been set up previously and now I can`t get it to turn off to be able to go back to ordinary text. I thought the settings would have been just an on/off procedure, but no, it is a menu of options and I have those all off, so I`m a bit lost as to why it`s still affecting my text output.

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

What an idiot! Guess what I was doing? I was sending text messages to their HOME phones instead of their mobile numbers! Huh My contact listings show home and mobile numbers. I was hitting the word `mobile` and not looking closely at the number I was contacting. Will have to change those later on today. Dearly me....this old age is starting to affect my ability to concentrate on what I`m looking at! Seems the phone wasn`t at fault it was me.Crazy3

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@plusmouse wrote:

I actually had an Alcatel feature phone not too long ago that I bought off an ebay business seller and found the texting even on that phone was a night mare. Couldn`t get it to switch off predictive text for love nor money. I sold it on for £10 to a local shop and was glad to get rid. I just hope I haven`t made the same mistake with this phone 

Clearly you have! If you've had their trash before, why would you do so again?

I have a pen here with no ink left.. can you buy it from me for a fiver? - ideal for stirring paint or you could refurbish it.. Cool_smiley

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@7up wrote:

I have a pen here with no ink left.. can you buy it from me for a fiver? - ideal for stirring paint or you could refurbish it.. Cool_smiley

I buy it but I'd need some time think about it. Grin

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@plusmouse wrote:

What an idiot! Guess what I was doing? I was sending text messages to their HOME phones instead of their mobile numbers! Huh My contact listings show home and mobile numbers. I was hitting the word `mobile` and not looking closely at the number I was contacting. Will have to change those later on today. Dearly me....this old age is starting to affect my ability to concentrate on what I`m looking at! Seems the phone wasn`t at fault it was me.Crazy3

As I have received text messages on my land line converted to voice, my thought is that maybe you are not the idiot you think you are. I am a BT user, but do all the other suppliers have the conversion facility? I wonder. @plusmouse

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Nice one about the pen! Grin But I`m my own worst enemy sometimes. Don`t learn from mistakes and by now I`ve made too many to count. Signed up for broadband and phone three days too early when I could have had the same deal for a fiver less if I`d held out! Buying the same brand of phone when I sold the first one because it was turning my hair grey with frustration!

I just need to be careful now that when I open a contact on this phone that I look at the actual number I`m going to touch and not the word next to it! Smiley6600

I was given a larger GoFone android phone from a good friend at Christmas last year as a spare she had and this was my first Smartphone, so I dabbled with it and wanted something a bit smaller to carry in my bag, so found the Alcatel Pixi on the ebay outlet page. It`s actually a smart wee phone (for a beginner numpty like me!) but when I came across this `Text to speak` function, I had no idea what it was and blamed it for my own mistake. Roll_eyes  It`s actually a good feature for anyone wanting to use it, but alas, I don`t need it. I went googling for ages trying to find out how to uninstall or disable it and then realised the texts I sent were not to the mobile numbers in the first place!

You live and learn eh....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luzern wrote:

I am a BT user, but do all the other suppliers have the conversion facility? I wonder. @plusmouse

Plusnet do offer the service, but I got mine disabled, I don't know about other phone providers though.

Mav
Fixes: 514

@Anonymous wrote:

@7up wrote:

I buy it but I'd need some time think about it. Grin

Good to know you would be pensive over such a decisionCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Just the deal I would go for no doubt, an empty pen thinking it was half full of ink! Fiver down the drain but hey, the pen might casing might make a good pea shooter! Tongue

Just need to get used to some of the other features on this Alcatel Pixi phone now but all seems well. It`s not using a Smartphone, it`s all the whistles and bells in the background that confuse me! Notifications, applications, what to ditch, what to keep, what do they all do? How to turn this off or that on....it really is like carrying a mini tablet around.