cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tests done by KJILM123 for Premium 20 Mb/s account switch.

KJILM123
Grafter

Re: Tests done by KJILM123 for Premium 20 Mb/s account switch.

Quote from: geofftswin
http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg
(taken from a US ADSL provider)
13.4% achieve a download synch speed of higher than 20 Mbps
27.7% achieve a download synch speed of between 15 Mbps and 20 Mbps
22.1% achieve a download synch speed of between 10 Mbps and 15 Mbps
23.0% achieve a download synch speed of between 5 Mbps and 10 Mbps
13.8% achieve a download synch speed of less than 5 Mbps
Why don't you ring BT Openreach up and ask them to re-lay your cabling from the exchange to the door to see if that improves things?

Geoff, That''s a very, very interesting Graph you got there and it totally agrees with my dB attenuation and length from the Exchange that I could have had 10 mb/s. And in your table it says that more than 72 % have higher speeds of 5 mb/s. Given the ratings that I have. Just fyi. I live less than 3 km (actually it is 1,9 km but whatever) from the exchange and my attenuation is 38 dB. So if you put the ruler next to that graph, you come up right to 10 mb/s in my case. But I ain't got that. I guess it will be passed off by Plusnet as theory and "law of physics" that drag me down. lol.  As a matter of fact in contrast with the graph if my attenuation would be 90 dB I would have the speed, I have now. Mawhahahaha. I wonder what Plusnet has to say upon that. They probably will say, Ohhh but that is America ! Clearly they don't know much about ADSL here in the UK then. But I already had noticed that.
Regarding the relaying of my cable. A BT engineer across the road who is my friend told me that they all replaced the cables already a few years ago for future purposes. I will one day have an extensive chat with him about what really is holding it back. After all he works for BT.
KJ

KJILM123
Grafter

New update speeds.
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:OFF /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
          Down   Up
SNR (dB):   10.6  15.2
Attn(dB):     38.0  20.5
Pwr(dBm):   18.8  12.2
Max(Kbps): 5628 18815 Just watch this with my former post in this topic. Where is the up 20 mb/s now ? I guess it had a artery bleeding somewhere.
Rate (Kbps): 4366 447 <~~~~~~~~~~~#  Angry
Was done with all the Filters off the line and the Modem directly on the BT box on 07/03/2010 @ 20:45, it's worse now.
gswindale
Grafter

I live less than 3 km (actually it is 1,9 km but whatever) from the exchange and my attenuation is 38 dB.

I'm just wondering here - based on your distance of 1.9km, you should have pretty high speeds, but lower due the attenuation - but maybe, just maybe, the wiring between the exchange and your house goes round the houses?  Could that possibly have a bearing - whilst you might have good attenuation, if there is a ridiculously long cable in place, could that possibly knock your speeds down?
KJILM123
Grafter

Well you see Geoff, I deliberately said 3 km. I just gave it an extra 1 km of wires around the block as you said. Not in my home though. The 1.9 km is from street to street not as the crow flies.
adie:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: KJILM123
Quote from: Bob
*sigh* I have no idea where this thread is going but in a vein attempt to get things back on track...

"was 23-36db"  when the stats you've posted above agree with the figure of 38db that I gave you from the line test I ran?
The inflated upstream figure is odd however I suspect that's nothing more sinister than a firmware bug or similar.
As you can see my SNR is very near the ideal SNR with 10.6.

Your line will be more stable at 10db however your synchronisation speed would be higher if it was 6db

Did I say, 23-36 dB or did I say 23-26dB Bob ?   Roll_eyes If you read my post it was 23-26 dB. It always was.

My mistake, however it still doesn't detract from the point I was making. Your downstream attenuation is *not* 23-26db.
And regarding the upside down figure in the finally posted stats from my Modem. Looking more closely at it, how can someone have a Max(Kbps):  5496 download speed and the 20402  upload. It would look to me if their would be a wire that is connected wrong instead of a software bug. Because 20402 looks rather more like Download speed instead of Upload speed. Am I mistaken here ?
If we or I have to take the benefit of the doubt that it hypothetically would be a "software bug" can it point out that there is something on the other hand could be fundamentally wrong somewhere and can be the sole reason why I don't get the speeds that I should get.
I can't imagine that Belkin never would have been confronted with a softwarebug of this particular hardware product, because I as far as I know you can still buy these Router Modems in the shops. Mind you I have seen something like Version 1.00 or Version 2.00. However if you go on Belkin's website only the Version 1.00 is supported in the support section.

Just because you can buy a modem in the shop doesn't mean it's going to be bug free. There's a very similar bug that affects Netgear routers. The reason you can't get the speeds you're aiming for is simply because *your line is of insufficient length/quality*, I'm not sure how many more times you need to be told this before you'll accept it as fact?
No ! It still has not answered the fact that in the past as I said in 2002 I had 6,2 mb/s on my old ADSL, (this was not even MAX) line contract that I had with Force9.

We did *not* offer 6Mbps speeds in 2002 unless you had a leased line from us which you did not. Perhaps you're unfortunate enough to have suffered a hardware/firmware fault with the Eicon device too?
Anyways, still not over 10 mb/s today.  I guess I have to wait until I am an ounce.

No, like Barry has alluded to, you would need to move closer to the exchange.
Geoff, That''s a very, very interesting Graph you got there and it totally agrees with my dB attenuation and length from the Exchange that I could have had 10 mb/s.

You'd be lucky and there's no way you'd ever achieve that whilst your SNR's around the 9db mark. I'm still of the opinion that you'll be hard pushed to get anything above 6-8Mbps actual throughput at the very best.
As a matter of fact in contrast with the graph if my attenuation would be 90 dB I would have the speed, I have now.

You wouldn't have an ADSL service at all with a line attenuation of 90db!
I don't think I can really add much more to what's already been said. If you choose to disregard the advice you've been given, then that's entirely up to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

KJILM123
Grafter

@Bob P.

Just because you can buy a modem in the shop doesn't mean it's going to be bug free. There's a very similar bug that affects Netgear routers. The reason you can't get the speeds you're aiming for is simply because *your line is of insufficient length/quality*, I'm not sure how many more times you need to be told this before you'll accept it as fact?

I did not see any evidence in that post you put up there that there was a problem with the attenuation, I see figures not related to up and down stream, I see links. But nothing of what I was talking about.
We did *not* offer 6Mbps speeds in 2002 unless you had a leased line from us which you did not. Perhaps you're unfortunate enough to have suffered a hardware/firmware fault with the Eicon device too?

Okay, you are saying that after 3 firmware updates that were handed out by a Eicon engineer to me personally by email when discussing about issues and updated it, that this bug just kept on existing in three generations of firmware and noone noticed of the millions of users of this particular modem that it was indicating it wrong. I wonder how you can make this stick here in this forum and in practice, Bob.
The reason you can't get the speeds you're aiming for is simply because *your line is of insufficient length/quality*.

I will discuss that with the BT engineer across the road when I have some time and see if you are right.
wouldn't have an ADSL service at all with a line attenuation of 90db!

Bob, You are saying that this graph from Internode is a blatant lie then ? http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg With other words misleading.  I can't believe that. No one can put up graphs unless they have tested it. Which they did. Go read it yourself how they did it.
Bob, the one's that have told me things here online varies from one end to the other end of the spectrum. Many quotations or claims are said as being facts, but nowhere there is evidence that what has been said is fact. If there was fact then this must be in a manual somewhere written down as fact where all facts have to line up to. Which means, the standard. The standards that are claimed here are variable. With other words they change as one goes along. As I said, many say something and we have to accept it as fact. I can only accept facts as if there is as a authority in factual points that are claimed as fact. Who is that authority that has all the facts of ADSL and who has the last word on this and where ?
I am not falling for things as what everyone claims or say that is fact. As far as I have seen in the post those who have made claims of ADSL facts have a link to Plusnet one way or another. Are there also independent claimants who are those "authorities" in ADSL, who can give independent claims from anyone else I have seen here answering my post. I hear you saying now, why don't you believe me. I would believe you if you were saying the facts as in the standards of the facts of ADSL. Since as I said: Many have made claims, many are on both sides of the spectrum as in, close to the Exchange, far away from the exchange, line short, line long, line noise, line this, line that. It would be impossible for a person that does not know about ADSL to understand what they are actually saying. I don't claim here that I don't know about ADSL. I know some about ADSL. But there is no need to know about ADSL, you only need to know that you get high speed in a contract that you sign with a Internet provider. That is still the topic. It is no excuse of saying that this that and all those issues are that you can't get what you want.
It comes over as BT has not one standard as being a provider of the ADSL that they claim provide for the general public. If.... the cables and the connect boxes and the exchanges are different everywhere, then BT should close shop, then there is no standard either, because to me they are just patching things to provide a service for stupid people who just pay for a service that is not up to a British kitemark as they are printing on their paper. I assume and really start to believe that this would be the case. To it gets clearer and clearer, that BT has no standards than their own as in compromise and we all have to live by it, whether we like it or not. May I say as a consumer if this is so, this is not acceptable but deception towards the customer. No wonder we don't get what we want. It means we are taken for granted as a costumer and as long as we are paying it is ok. Like as in who care, long live BT's monopoly. Whether these standards that should be met are compromised with not up to date 2010 level standards that should be, it does not matter.
To explain what I said. Cable A long length, B grade, but still adequate for purpose, Cable B short length grade A, up to standard and beyond, connected to Cable A and causes bad Attenuation distortions. Result is Customer cannot receive claimed Up to.... speeds. Etc. etc. Repeat to infinity. ISP's do not say nothing. ISP's just accept what BT is doing. ISP's just get along with it. ISP's must have the brunt of customer who wants higher speed ADSL. Do you get me what I am trying to say. I am absolutely not interested in Technical stuff. I need delivery. All customers do. Only those who are geek like to chat about figures and maths to convince customer about this that and the other. When customer don't get what they sign up to, they go to customer service and ask why do we not get value for money. This was my first issue and my first topic from the beginning. The topic is now sinking down the drain of oblivion on the forum because it was moved by Oldjim with the tactic it will resolve automatically because there will be new topics. I am not from yesterday born. I am longer than today around. I see that all the time. It's a tactic. Strategy, but never come to the delivery as should be. I really don't care a fig about long, short, high, distortion problems etc etc. I am the customer, I have the money, I am paying for service not for excuses why this and why that, it is what it is. Yes, I am hard-nosed. So what ? You want to punch me, go ahead.
I am very aware that I am not likable because of that. Frankly, I don't care. Also I am aware that it makes not much friends. I couldn't care less. I have also seen that friendship sucks when you can't say what is really important and what really matters. Too much "friendships" is because big fat compromises. I loathe it. Most people are on a selfish trip of self realisation and think only about self. I hate sliming, I hate being of so to speak "brownworking" to progress in society or anywhere else. It's disgusting, it's appalling and stupid. It is what makes this world as it is. Very egoistic, greedy and directed upon self and not delivering for what it wants to stand for. All for a price at the expense of others. Don't even care, when they have reached their level of extortion.
Did you know that happiness is not depending on high speed broadband at all or anything else for that effect. Happiness you create yourself. But when you say certain things tough, the resort of many is to frustrate you, to ignore you, to have excuses, to pull wool over someone eyes, to lie,  to deflect, to sabotage you, to ridicule you, and as a last resort to excommunicate you and to humiliate you, trample on and destroy you. This cannot be said. Never. Compromise is ok, when it comes rightly out for another. If a standard is a standard, than the standard is what the bar is and ceiling where the standards are standing for. Anything else cannot do. It is expected from me everyday. So I expect it from others same way. What you want me to do ? Lay down and die ?
@ Adiewoo,
What did I do wrong now again ? You removed something from a former post and you are not telling what it is. How can someone know from all the forum rules that are written down which one was wrong. Is it expected from me to have them all in my head ? I am not a good student. I am a newbie. Never been on the forum here before in 11 years with Plusnet. Never bothered with it. I just started.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Aidi very clearly said that he had removed a full quote which was against forum rules, and if you can read, there was a link to the rules just as there is at the bottom left below this post
KJILM123
Grafter

@ Piere_Piere,
I did a full quote ? Where ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@KJILM123 the note says it all Full quote of preceding post removed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KJILM123
Grafter

Why is it that everytime I change in my profile that I am offline, and no email button it is back there again ?
KJILM123
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo

I perceived that, the quote as I did was partial in nature as in this post. I guess that is wrong too then ? Yes, no ?
Lurker
Grafter

I perceived that, the quote as I did was partial in nature as in this post. I guess that is wrong too then ?

You didn't quote the previous post here - you quoted the previous but one!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: adiewoo

I perceived that, the quote as I did was partial in nature as in this post. I guess that is wrong too then ? Yes, no ?

And that is a FULL quote not a partial one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KJILM123
Grafter

Oh, I C. Then edit it and remove just that than, it's a mistake. It happens, in the speed of time.
KJILM123
Grafter

New Test done by KJILM123 from same BT box with a slightly lower Attenuation of 37,5 dB, one small 0.5 dB with same Modem router as before. Higher download speeds obtained. Here is proof, Bob, James, Adie, Jim, Barry that your ADSL theories suck and none of you know much then telling customers fables and fob them off with stories this and that. I hope that you all will stop telling silly fables by now and go back to practice school. Stories like:

Telephone number:
   020XXXXXXX
Phone exchange:
   SOUTHALL
Estimated line speed:
   4 - Checked on 2010-02-23 13:20:36
Current line speed:
Your estimated line speed
If we've done a line check for you, we provide an estimate of the broadband speed that your line should support.
Please see above for the 'Estimate line speed'.
If we're unable to provide a line check, we give you the option of continuing without a speed estimate, in which case you'd see the Speed Estimate as "Opted out".
What does "Current line speed" mean?
The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection. Find out more about sync speed.
I hope Bob that after what I show you here you stop telling me that I am not listening. Go check my connection now if you don't believe me. I did not change any digits whatsoever.
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 447 Kbps, Downstream rate = 6761 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB):    9.2 17.9
Attn(dB):    37.5 20.1
Pwr(dBm): 20.2 12.2
Max(Kbps): 6592 22483
Rate (Kbps): 6761 447
And this is my through put speed. Still same as before.

and my Ping test

While before I had A rating on my line and 2 ms jitter.
Go ahead make my day, tell me more crazy stories from all of you.
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) removed personal information.]