Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tescos Online & Opera 9.25 issues?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Tescos Online & Opera 9.25 issues?

For the last week and maybe more I have been having great difficulty in using the Tescos site with Opera 9.25, which has been working well enough up until now, sadly it works first time with IE7.
Issue eg's
The main grocery page fails to load at all.
If the grocery page does load then if selecting items I can't add them to the basket and the buttons don't respond.
No other sites I use have this issue so anyone else?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
10 REPLIES 10
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Tescos Online & Opera 9.25 issues?

A lot of sites are optimised for IE and Opera (being standards-compliant where IE is not) struggles with them,  eBay & PCWorld/Dixons being particularly bad offenders.
However Opera works fine with Waitrose ... Smiley
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Yep why I was asking here to see if any others with Opera had issues.
I never took to Firefox as Opera does everything I need from a fresh install, with no addon/plugins other than media players.
edit: ok just tried firefox and same issue so something wrong my end thats affecting both Firefox and Opera but not IE7, question is what
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just tried:
IE7: All working fine and page loads fast
FF2: Groceries page fails to load properly as does clicking on other links on the main groceries page
Opera 9.24: Same as FF although some pages load and others don't but generally can't see the site to view/order anything
Looks like the issue is with the site rather than Opera.
The fact that the website is written in ASP could be a clue to compatibility!!!
Also it's only the Groceries section that fails to load, all the other areas (Entertainment, finance etc) all load fine in all browsers.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Well I emailed Tescos and used report site feature for Opera so see what happens, it was working on 1st Jan but not now, short term stuck with loading IE to use it
jazz
Grafter

Just tried with Opera 9.25 and it worked ok for me. 
I believe that Opera also has a facility to "stealth" itself to pass itself off as IE on badly behaved sites (See Opera Help facility)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Most browsers are able to report themselves to be something that they are not. It won't make them work though, if the site is badly broken.
It also makes it seem that IE is a more popular browser than it actually is.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

paulh
Rising Star

the "Mask As/Identify As" options in Opera can definitely help with sites which reject Opera altogether (and some do); I try to mask as IE when using Tesco.com or ebay but it won't make either work acceptably. Writing to them just provokes the response "Our site is optimised for IE, please use IE"
paulh
Rising Star

I can't remember the details of the response from Tesco,  but it was along those lines.
As for eBay, that is pretty much verbatim what they had to say. It was, to say the least, an extended correspondence, and one on which I eventually gave up. Their "support" is robotic and quite extraordinarily uninterested in their customers welfare. But given their monopoly position, that's hardly surprising.
Similarly I suspect with the likes of Tesco. If you've crushed the market so comprehensively, why bother with a few eccentric non-Microsoft users? Those in monopolistic non-competitive positions are usually supportive of each other.
Excuse me, I must get off my hobby-horse and stretch my legs ... Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: PJ
Hmmm, perhaps I should try this...

I wouldn't bother.
From FireFox (Linux)
I tried clicking on "Book delivery slot" and got the following piece of customer friendly junk:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gus
Aspiring Pro

Well guess they fixed it last night as it's working today, I didn't get a brush off but reasonable tech support email which I replied to with what I had already tried.