cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Dual boot W7 Pro

Mav
Fixes: 515

Temporary Dual boot W7 Pro

I have W7 installed on a 64GB SSD and want to install it on a new 240GB SSD. I don't want to make a copy of the current OS and just install that as there is so much junk after 5 years that I want to start afresh.

Meanwhile I want to be able to use the current OS in between setting up the new one while I get old software working along with new but don't want to lose current functionality while setting things up.

Is it possible to install a new OS in this way and have the choice to boot from either until I am happy with the new set up then simply remove the old SSD and go back to single boot?

One other question as it has been a long time since I have installed from a DVD drive. I have a new internal DVD rewrite but while keeping the two SSDs I don't have room for it in the case. Is it possible to connect it externally and still boot from it to install W7?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Temporary Dual boot W7 Pro

@Mav - If your BIOS supports it you should use that to select to boot drive of choice with any number of devices plugged in. This to me would be the best option as you don’t then need to faff around with boot loaders to remove your redundant OS(s). You can then install your new OS on the bigger disk and boot between any device until your happy, then simply remove the device when your finished (your upgrade / install).

Mav

@Anonymous

I think I was trying to over-complicate thingsRoll_eyes

Thanks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Microsoft says that dual booting two copies of a Windows OS on one licence is not allowed.  But I doubt that they'll notice.  I have done the same thing a few times (i.e. keeping the old version temporarily in parallel with a new installation) without incident.    

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

IF you can find it, XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader) is a very good boot loader that will allow you to do all of this Mav. It can even hide other drives / partitions so that one windows install can't see another.

Just be careful when installing it because one option can wipe an entire partition - I lost 17Gb once! I still standby it as the best boot loader out there but it is no longer maintained.

If you install it on the original drive then do your business with the other you can hide the original. XOSL even has the ability to let you customise the boot menu. Once you're done you can remove the original drive and be on your way with the replacement - without xosl installed on it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mav

@ReedRichards

I wondered about that. Then I had thought about not activating the new installation until I was happy all is OK - do get full use for 30 days anyway. Then remove the old and reactivate. I suspect I will have to call to activate but I can simply tell them is is due to a small hardware change i.e replacement SSD

Mav

@7up

Thanks but as it really will be just a temporary set up I will go for the easier (hopefully) option of switching boot drives in BIOS for a week or two.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't expect you will have to call to activate under the circumstances you describe, @Mav.