cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Television over Broadband

kingsford

Television over Broadband

One of the the guys at work who is a bit of techno freak says he is about to trial freeview over his broadband connection through his ISP.  He also says he has setup his router so it uses his mains electricity cables in his house to carry the signal, so he can plug his laptops in to the mains point anywhere in the house and get broadband ........................
Sounds tooo good to be true to me, does any one know if this is could happen
15 REPLIES 15
chino
Grafter

Re: Television over Broadband

There is a IPTV which is TV over the internet though there are not many devices out as yet which plug into your tv though many flash type players for your computer.
Regarding the broadband connection through the power sockets well this is also true via:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48539&doy=5m8&C=SO&U=strat15
I hope this helps.
chillypenguin
Grafter

It sounds like he is on the BT Vision trial.
Chilly
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/spezial/flashstart.html has a nice flash video explaining how the mains networking works. This method has been around for at least 15 years but it has never really taken off due to the high costs involved compared to running cables and more recently the reduction in wireless equipment costs.
jb1172

The PlusNet support team told me that they would be getting BT Vision "soon" and probably in time for the footy season to start. I suspected that would be a little too ambitious (and indeed, season is starting on Saturday) but wondered if there's any further news on an arrival date?
I'm hoping sometime before October, or else I might have to move to BT, even though I'd rather not...
jb.
Quote from: chillypenguin
It sounds like he is on the BT Vision trial.
Chilly
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Realistically we're not likely to see BT Vision before the turn of the year, but we're currently looking at other IPTV solution which we'll be hopefully testing before too long.
flyer99
Grafter

Realistically we're not likely to see BT Vision before the turn of the year, but we're currently looking at other IPTV solution which we'll be hopefully testing before too long

As plusnet is part of the BT group why trial an alternative IPTV solution? Is the Plusnet network not capable of handling the extra traffic that this would introduce with either solution?
It was hinted earlier this year that we would be getting the extra value service that BT Total Broadband customer's can get. We have seen none of these yet.
I have been with plusnet for 4 years now and have been happy with the service I have received but am looking at migrating purely because I would like to have access to BT Vision. Currently that seems not be an option with Plusnet.
It seems that quite a few other ISP's are now offering setanta sports via their broadband services, but nothing from Plusnet.
Are we going to be kept waiting or do we move to a provider that offers added Extra's
Regards
Nick
James
Grafter

As plusnet is part of the BT group why trial an alternative IPTV solution?

Why not look at it from a different angle.  Why not look at trialling other hardware offerings thus enabling our customers to get an increased level of choice? BT are currently running Vision entirely across their own platform and we're currently awaiting an update from them for when they may be able to offer this solution across our platform in addition to theirs.  I do fully appreciate that vision was a key part of our plans for 2007 and we'd love to be able to offer this as soon as possible.
If there are considerable delays in our being able to offer Vision, then it would make business sense for us to look at other suppliers.  that way, once BT Vision does become available, as I've mentioned, there will be more choice available as well as also providing ourselves with an interesting viewpoint into other hardware offerings.
Of course, once we have further information then I'll be more than happy to share this with everyone.
flyer99
Grafter

If there are considerable delays in our being able to offer Vision, then it would make business sense for us to look at other suppliers.  that way, once BT Vision does become available, as I've mentioned, there will be more choice available as well as also providing ourselves with an interesting viewpoint into other hardware offerings.

I would agree on this point, However this would indicate that there are going to be considerable delays, Hence looking at alternative offerings.
Do we get any hints of what and when anything will happen. As you stated this was part of plusnets key visions for 2007 and thats rapidly drawing to a close.........
Maybe we will get something in summer 2008
James
Grafter

Early 2008 was the latest I've heard from the Vision front, but this may well be subsequent to change.  We're continuing to push BT for a more solid timescale.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Maybe I'm being a bit thick but why on earth would anyone want TV via the Internet when there is so much available via Freeview and satellite?
James
Grafter

Hi George,
It goes into what it is, what it does and various advantages that it offers.  Thought it would be easier for you to read rather than me quoting out massive chunks Smiley
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: flyer99
Realistically we're not likely to see BT Vision before the turn of the year, but we're currently looking at other IPTV solution which we'll be hopefully testing before too long

As plusnet is part of the BT group why trial an alternative IPTV solution? Is the Plusnet network not capable of handling the extra traffic that this would introduce with either solution?
It was hinted earlier this year that we would be getting the extra value service that BT Total Broadband customer's can get. We have seen none of these yet.
Regards
Nick

Hi Nick,
Most people offering Setanta are providing a freeview box where this can be received, rather than delivering it over broadband. You can buy one of these yourself, or subscribe to Setanta's broadband service yourself, although as has been hinted we are currently looking at some options which would provide consumers with some sort of Hybrid service (And I've been talking to Setanta myself). We know people are interested in this and we are very keen to deliver something, but we will only do that if it's going to work for people and be a compelling thing.
The delay with Vision isn't really about our network capacity, but it is perhaps about the readiness of the vision service itself to scale up to provide the quality of service our customers would expect. We should have more news and a clear direction laid out in the next few weeks.
I would like to know what other services you find attractive that BT currently offer. That feedback will help with prioritising our next steps.
Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

It has been marketed heavily, and it's a decent product which we are planning to offer, although again we may find an alternative partner.
On that note, perhaps you could tell me (In principle, this is nothing but theoretical) whether a product like this would be as attractive to you as Digital Vault?
Ian
flyer99
Grafter

Hi Ian
I would be interested in a backup type product.
It would need to be able to be configured to backup what I select and not some predefined folders and file types.
It would also need to only upload changes after the initial backup. Background backups would be nice.Would we get an amount for free on the higher options?
What sort of monthly/ annual charge would there be and could we chose the amount of storage.
I have raid and external devices I back upto already but some files I would like to backup 'offsite' just incase of fire/theft.
I am currently trialling Mozyhome online backup. Seems to tick the right boxes and you get 2GB for free www.mozy.com/home.
How about some free WI-FI minutes and maybe something like BT fusion.
Not too demanding am I  Cheesy