Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone plug wiring

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Telephone plug wiring

Any one know how to put a plug on for a telephone extension? I'm found this link http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html I'm having one of them moments where it looks simple enough but the wiring diagram is for different colour wires, I guess I should just line up the colours right?
Do I have to bare the wire in any way? I only have one of these from focus and I take it once you've crushed the pins in it would have to be cut off again if its wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
It was directly wired into the back of the NTE5 box before but after some noise/router issues I decided to take it out. I don't think it was responsible more a failing router but if it causes any probs I'll just unplug it again.
12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Telephone plug wiring

You might like to have a go at this....

Go to "Images" on Google.....then put in the search box  " telephone plug wiring "....  the top line shows various colours of wires, and the special tool needed with "replacement" plugs from diy stores....
Usually a new plug needs the "outer" flat plastic to be cut back about quarter inch, leaving four wires with their insulation on.... it is a bit tricky as you are very likely to cut into the internal wires as you try to remove the outer... ....
the four coloured wires should then slip into the back of the plug, and a special tool is then used to "clamp" them into position..... another way of doing it is to cut off an existing "old" plug with about a foot  of wire on it, and then cut back and solder the connections making sure you have each seperate wire insulated.  Before "wrapping" the join it is best to check to make sure the solder joints have been made correctly by testing the line... if all is well,.. "wrap it up".. ...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

look here this tells you all you need to know http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Er, all you need to know about telephone wiring, except the info on plugs required by the OP.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Any one know how to put a plug on for a telephone extension?
It was directly wired into the back of the NTE5 box before but after some noise/router issues I decided to take it out. I don't think it was responsible more a failing router but if it causes any probs I'll just unplug it again.

You will really struggle to put a plug directly onto extension cable, the strands are too thick.
Normally phone plugs are just fitted straight on with a crimp/compression tool and the plug internals cut through the insulation, but that's the thin stuff used in the short leads to a phone..
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok reading through this it's possibly going to be just as easy if I just wire it directly back into the box on the idc terminals. Like I said I have no reason so far to suspect the noise on the line was being caused by the extension being fitted, it was just one of the first things I tried as part of the process of elimination.
The router was the main suspect, after getting a BT business hub off ebay that seemed to cure it, I also used this router at work in day light hours(noise only affected it at night) for a couple of week at work and it packed up altogether. The monitor also went kaput so is a contender as well.
Now I just need instructions for a XTE-5 plate  Grin I wish I'd checked before I pulled them out now  Roll_eyes
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you use an XTE plate and correctly wire the extension in to the back of that there's no way the extension wiring can affect the ADSL.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
seanbranagh
Grafter

For an extension all you need are the blues to 2 and 5 and I am pretty sure it does not even matter which way round.
oliverb
Grafter

As I understand it all ADSL devices and most modems are polarity insensitive. There's still a technically "correct" polarity and some equipment MIGHT be sensitive, privicy adapters for example.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Sorry forgot to follow this post  Embarrassed I managed to get it sorted I just wired it back into the back of the pre filtered box again and have had no problems.
The wires are in twisted pairs so for instance blue with white and white with blue would be a twisted pair, same goes for orange white/white orange I think you get my drift  Grin A twisted pair of any colour can be used but the correct way is like mentioned blue/white to 2 and white/blue to 5.
Most people recommend taking the orange wires out completely as they are no longer required being bell wires, most phones have their own power supply so don't need them. They can also act as an antenna and cause noise interference on the line.
Easy to remember for next time blue to two  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: oliverb
As I understand it all ADSL devices and most modems are polarity insensitive. There's still a technically "correct" polarity and some equipment MIGHT be sensitive, privicy adapters for example.

Yes, It is mostly blue to 2 and mostly white to 5. It was drummed into my head years ago as a Sky Installer and I do stick with this, I had just read somewhere that it does not matter which way round they go.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I use Cat5e all the way from my master socket to the filtered faceplate where my modem is. The other extensions are filtered at the master. This setup gained me about 0.5Meg from when I had a seperate filter on every extension!