Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone / Data Wiring Question

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Telephone / Data Wiring Question

@Tempting

I am pretty sure that what the BT technician was telling you was to fit the new fitered faceplate he has left you onto the master socket. He then suggested that you extend the VDSL cable between the IDC connectors on the rear of the filtered faceplate and the router location using CAT 5 cable rather that telephone extension cable as it has better HF performance. He then suggested using a RJ45 socket at the router end of the cable as these are readily available.

Now the confusion! CAT 5E cable has four twisted pair conductors, you only need one pair. I assume that there are only two IDC connection points on the rear of the filtered faceplate. If there are then these need to be connected to the blue/white and white/blue conductors. If you then coneect this pair (pins 4&5 I believe) in the RJ45 socket (connect all eight conductors if you wish) the RJ11 broadband cable should plug into the RJ45 socket and pick up the correct conductors.

To my mind this is a bodge. A far easier solution would be to locate the modem/router (Hub 0 or 1) close to the Master socket then run a 'proper' CAT5e Ethernet cable between the router and computer.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Back in the days when BT called at your house to install fibre - which just consisted of installing a recent vintage master socket plus lots of checks that the VDSL signal was getting through + checks on the telephone signal.

BT provided a modem (still going strong) & Plusnet provided a Netgear router with a WAN connection (still going strong).

My initial provision was in 2012 when BT thought fibre was beyond mere customer installs. Grin

Recently I placed my router next to the master socket and ran CAT5 to the living room and into a Gigabit ethernet switch. This allows me to wire my TV, PC + other devices together. Local traffic runs at potentially Gigabit speeds whilst external internet runs at the slower fibre speeds. The switch relieves the router of most local traffic.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

My setup has been modem/router* by the master socket, ethernet cable upstairs to my much more capable router, and that's that, I did try to extend the VDSL to upstairs over the same cable, but it lost speed along the way, so I gave up with that idea and left the bits by the master socket... Smiley

(*Originally the Huawei HG612 VDSL modem supplied by Openreach, then a BT Smarthub, and now some vodafone-lobotomised Huawei thing that has two FXS ports but no VoIP abilities in the firmware, waste of hardware if you ask me!!)

Tempting
Grafter

@Baldrick1 That is exactly what I did this afternoon and pins 4&5 on the RJ45 socket align with pins 3&4 on the RJ11 plug allowing connection.

The initial sync speed was no different, but we have now removed any chance of reflected signals ( as mentioned by @ejs ) by using the filtered face plate on the BT master socket.

Is it possible that the modem will re-train at a faster speed (without BT intervention) and if so, does anyone know how long this would this take?

Appreciate all your help guys Smiley

Baldrick1

Right, let's look at the speed issue. First is this an ADSL or fibre connection?

Second, what is the estimated speed? If you put the telephone number in here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ this will give the necessary data. If you copy the results here obscure personal data such as the 'phone number first.

Can you get connection statistics from the router? Again depersonalse any data you copy to us. Of particular interest is all speed data, SNR and error data. If getting this data is a problem for you then advise the make and model of modem/router and further help will be forthcoming.

With this data it may be possible to answer your question.

Moderator and Customer

Tempting
Grafter

@Baldrick1 This is a FTTC connection and on signing up with the ISP the 'welcome' email said they would guarantee a download speed of 22.x (can't remember the x now) Looking at the dslchecker report below I assume they just quoted the Low clean figure.

Connection stats are available from the router, but as I said this is a family member so I won't have access to these until I next visit..I will post them then. I did scribble some figures down this afternoon but not all, those I scribbled are blow and I will get lots more when I next visit.

Sync Down 4.2Mbps / Up 1999Kbps

Noise margin Down 26.5db

Interestingly the cabinet now says 'This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC VDSL services'. I have no idea what it said when 'family member' signed up for the FTTC services but there was no long wait for install !

VileReynard
Hero

Go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to get BT's estimates of your line speeds:-

for example:-

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 70Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2017-08-29 19:18:04
Current line speed:73.6 Mb

(The current line speed is actually about 69Mbps, not 73Mbps).

Baldrick1

The upstream rate confirms that this is a fibre connection, my guess would be 40/2 although I have no idea who still offers these speeds. It is possible that the speed will improve, the high SNR shows that there is plenty of headroom, If there is a reasonabe line to the property then you would expect the SNR to be around 6 dB. The important thing is to leave the router continually powered up and see if things improve over the next few days, the problem is that the SNR is set by the DLM in the fibre cabinet and timescales can be a bit hit and miss. If there is no improvement over say the next week or so then your relative has a fault somewhere which needs to be reported to the appropriate ISP.

Moderator and Customer

Tempting
Grafter

@Baldrick1 I'm not certain if any of this will be of any use but..

1) I've attached the router sync details screen dump

2) Router log attached (not much in it from what I can see)

3) Suggestion by someone else of using the plusnet portal obviously gives my speed not that of my relative, who is not on Plusnet

4) dslchecker says 'No data available for this number' as line is not with BT (it is with NowTV) but I have posted the dsl chcker result for the address

I assume it's probably a 40/2 connection as ISP sells it as up to 38MB

Baldrick1

I’ sorry but I fear that this is getting beyond me. Something is clearly wrong. Your best bet is probably to get in touch with the ISP and report the slow speed.

Moderator and Customer

Tempting
Grafter

Thanks @Baldrick1 We have reported the slow speed on 4 different occasions now and have had a BT engineer visit following the last three reports.

1st engineer rewired from pole to house, into new 'box' outside on house wall then from that box inside into master socket. So essentially all new cable from pole to master socket.

2nd engineer just checked house wiring and said there was nothing wrong with it

3rd engineer left instructions for the new RJ45 socket wired from back of new face plate (which I did yesterday)

Just reported slow speed (for the 5th time) using the ISP's automated 'check my system' online tool, it says that the internet speed is slow (no, really?) the problem is outside of the property, a ticket has been raised and expected 'time to fix' is two days. Lets see what happens this time.

If we ever get to the bottom of it I'll let you guys know what it was.

VileReynard
Hero

Significant that the fault lies outside the property.

Why does your router access a Sky time server?

Tempting
Grafter

@VileReynard wrote:

Why does your router access a Sky time server?

Have you ever thought it may be a sky connection?

Tempting
Grafter

Engineer phoned my relative today to say he was working on the issue and two hours later he called back to say the speed issue was now resolved. Unfortunately elderly relative has no idea what the engineer did but he now has Download sync of 30Mbps and upload sync of 6Mbps and the Downstream noise margin is down to 5.9db

Obviously the connection must be a 40/10 although there was no way of knowing this previously.

Keeping fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Tempting
Grafter

Download sync speed has already dropped to 20Mbps with downstream noise margin remaining at 5.9db