cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor 582n set-up as a Client Mode device for TV

DDNewCust
Grafter

Technicolor 582n set-up as a Client Mode device for TV

I was looking at getting a TL-WR702N to set it up in Client Mode for my TV or Humax to get I-player and other stuff on the TV via the wireless network. Running a network cable is not an option unfortunately.
I got the definition of Client Mode from the TP web-site. Definition: The TL-WR702N is connected to another device via Ethernet core and acts as an adaptor to send/receive the wireless signal from your wireless network.
But then I realised that I have a unused Technicolor 582n sitting in a box and may be I could use that for the same job. So the questions are:-
1) Can the 582n do this Client Mode?
2) Is there a guide to help me.
Any pointers would be gratefully received.
10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Technicolor 582n set-up as a Client Mode device for TV

Does the TV support DLNA?
I can stream video files from my PC to TV via a standard router over a power plugs connection (I haven't tried wireless).
I would investigate get_iplayer to download from iplayer.
http://www.icefilms.info/index allows you to stream or download some quite decent videos.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

DDNewCust
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Does the TV support DLNA?
I can stream video files from my PC to TV via a standard router over a power plugs connection (I haven't tried wireless).
I would investigate get_iplayer to download from iplayer.

The device is a Humax HDR-FOX T2 which feeds to the TV. From what I have read (very little) I believe it can pull DLNA content.
Thanks for your suggestion but I really don't like the power plugs internet connections, on another posting they cause other issues with ADSL2+ connections (sensitive ones).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The type of physical connection isn't important.
If wireless is fast enough, you can use that.
Remember though that data flows PC -->  router  --> TV with some reverse flow, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

NedLudd
Grafter

The Humax Fox T2 has BBC iPlayer built in and will work with wifi 'out of the box'!
I have one connected to my router via Ethernet, but can see the wifi capability in the set-up.
Geoff,
York.
DDNewCust
Grafter

Thanks, the real issue is the connection between them, I would really like to know if Technicolor 582n can be set-up in client mode. Once that's done I can move to the next stage of playing with the Humax.
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I would really like to know if Technicolor 582n can be set-up in client mode
It can't I'm afraid.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DDNewCust
Grafter

Thanks MisterW
I also have TalkTalk Huawei HG533 ASDL / Fibre version - Seems to be locked down to TalkTalk.
I don't seem to be about to do anything with that either. Sad
I have looked at DD-WRT and other sites but nothing yet.
dick:quote
DDNewCust
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
....... but can see the wifi capability in the set-up.

I can see the wifi set-up in the Humax , but it is gray'ed out as there is no USB wifi stick in.  Buying a USB wifi stick is another option for me, now I know the  582n can't be used.
I am kind of hoping one of these old wifi routers I have can be used, or may be they are just bin fodder.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I have looked at DD-WRT
I believe DD-WRT does support Client mode http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless so if any of your old routers can be reflashed with DD-WRT then that is an option. See here for supported hardware http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DDNewCust
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
See here for supported hardware http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Thanks for the link MisterW, but unfortunately none do. I will look at another way of doing this.
I am giving up on using the old routers for now.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.