Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Task Manager Status

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Task Manager Status

Having nothing else to do, this Sunday morning. (I`m going to start a spreadsheet on Monday),
I had a look at my Task Manager, as I had clicked on Windows Explorer 3 times and nothing happened....
Here is the table from my Task Manager......
I was surprised to note that there are 5 instances of explorer.exe    and  7 instances of svchost.exe
Can anyone tell me if anything is amiss with this (51 processes running) 
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop  80 gb HDD  256mb ram Windows XP SP2

Task                                            user                      cpu                              mem usage
(Note….. ALL tasks are  .exe    except    soffice  which is    .bin
Explorer                                      g                                0                                  3256k
quickDCF                                    g                                0                                    668
Explorer                                      g                                0                                    3268
Svchost                                SYSTEM                          0                                      244
Explorer                                      g                                0                                    9456
Explorer                                      g                                0                                    3272
Net Meter                                    g                                0                                    1656
Fumoei                                        g                                0                                        300
Eraser                                          g                                0                                        568
Jusched                                        g                                0                                          88
Zlclient                                          g                                0                                    2808
PDVDServ                                    g                                0                                        272
Avgas                                            g                                0                                        976
Igfxpers                                        g                                0                                        244
Hkcmd                                          g                                0                                        268
WLTRAY                                      g                                0                                      2084
Hpztsbo4                                      g                                0                                        404
Avgcc                                            g                                0                                      288
Taskmgr                                        g                                0                                      4404
Soffice.bin                                      g                                0                                      1472
Wdfmgr                                LOCAL SERVICE              0                                        76
Explorer                                        g                                0                                  12860
Svchost                                      SYSTEM                        0                                    1108
RichVideo                                  SYSTEM                        0                                      112
HPZipm12                                SYSTEM                        0                                        200
BOCore                                    SYSTEM                        0                                        200
Avgemc                                    SYSTEM                        0                                    1368
Alg                                        LOCAL SERVICE              0                                        156
Vsmon                                      SYSTEM                          0                                    11504
Svchost                                LOCAL SERVICE                0                                      2472
Svchost                              NETWORK SERVICE            0                                      956
Avgupsvc                                    SYSTEM                      0                                      832
Soffice                                          g                                    0                                        80
Svchost                                      SYSTEM                          0                                  14048
Svchost                            NETWORK SERVICE              0                                    1156
Svchost                                      SYSTEM                          0                                    1084
Lsass                                        SYSTEM                          0                                    1252
Services                                    SYSTEM                          0                                    1380
Winlogon                                  SYSTEM                          0                                    812
CSR's                                        SYSTEM                            0                                  1552
Smss                                          SYSTEM                          0                                      84
Avgamsvr                                  SYSTEM                            0                                    460
Guard                                        SYSTEM                          0                                      348
Aawservice                                SYSTEM                          0                                      356
Spoolsv                                    SYSTEM                            0                                      584
BCMWLTRY                            SYSTEM                            0                                    2004
WLTRYSVC                            SYSTEM                            0                                        76
System                                      SYSTEM                            0                                        64
System Idle Process                  SYSTEM                            98                                      28

Sorry about the out of line columns.............. copied and pasted from MS Pub
Anything I can delete..... disable/stop running?
or any other advice please.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Task Manager Status

The 7 svchosts are normal as they are core windows communication applications - the same app has multiple functions.
The 5 explorers are not. You should only have 1 explorer running. You can safely kill off the explorer processes and when you kill the main one your screen should refresh and explorer starts again automatically.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for that Peter............. have noticed that  when I click on Outlook Express recently, it shows the blue OE box, then disappears with the windows Plink Plonk.. (!)  I then have to click OE again to get it to stay on the screen , so this is probably the reason for that....
Is there anything else there that you think I could do without, to improve start up time? although I`m not too worried if there isn`t
Thanks

zubel
Community Veteran

Under normal circumstances you should only have one explorer.exe.
HOWEVER
If you have the system setting "Show each explorer window as a seperate process" then you will have one explorer.exe for each window that you have open, +1 (for the start menu/desktop)
B.