Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamil Nadu's XP migration plan: Go Linux

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Tamil Nadu's XP migration plan: Go Linux

So M$ has pushed too hard  Grin
The Indian State of Tamil Nadu will solve its Windows XP problem by adopting Linux.
Tamil Nadu is home to over 70 million people and its capital city is Chennai, a hub for India's business process outsourcing industry second only to Bangalore.

There's also Tamil Nadu's influence to consider: the State may only be home to about five per cent of India's population, but is among the more developed regions of the country. Where Tamil Nadu goes, others may follow. If more Indian states start to embrace Linux on the desktop, the many announcements Microsoft made about Windows this week may have less impact than it hopes for.

From El Reg
When I was last working we had regular contract with the IT guys (setting up VC's etc) in Chennai, good people.
27 REPLIES 27
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Tamil Nadu's XP migration plan: Go Linux

Does this mean I'll get phone calls offering to "fix" my Linux for me?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

HairyMcbiker
All Star

That's more of a virtual desktop than a replacement. They are using Citrix to drop the VM to the desktop by HTTP. They will still be using M$ but via a server based VM rather than on the desktop itself.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I once worked for a place that used a
Some of its core systems, such as the children and adult care system, are browser-based, and Windows applications can be accessed from Citrix's HTML5 client, StoreFront.

Unfortunately they non-standardised on Internet Explorer!  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

and "LINUX TAKES OVER THE WORLD"............... one can wish Smiley
In the end, the linux base is quite stable and quite secure, from there anything is possible...........
TORPC
Grafter

Linux even fixes other O/S where other O/S can not fix Linux Wink Smiley
gtowen
Rising Star

@TORPC sooooooooooo true
Totally amazing that most rescue cd's/systems are based on linux but ssssshhhhhhhhhh
Don't tell the M$ lovers, they might be shocked Tongue
TORPC
Grafter

@gtowen
I never mentioned that certain O/S, therefore  Shocked you spilled the trade secret  Cheesy Grin Lips_are_sealed
gtowen
Rising Star

DOH!!!!
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool I've just been talking with someone who refuses to get RAILROADED by Microsoft into buying Windows 8.1 hardware. Instead, their business is going to iPads, iMacs and a Cloud CMS [on Linux].
Microsoft's boardroom Millionaires Club fails to realise that customers can go elsewhere these days. From poor nations to wealthy SMEs, people who upgraded from XP to Vista, from Vista to 7, from 7 to 8, and did all of the updates inbetween, and then paid extra money to third parties for security that kind of worked, won't get burnt again going to 8.1 - Microsoft is becoming a toxic brand.
CX
Grafter

If you buy a new Windows OS on the day it comes out, you get anywhere from 9 years (Vista) to 12 years (XP) of support. What on earth is there to complain about? Even if you stick to the previous version of Windows on that date, there are many years of support for that. When Windows 7 came out (two versions after XP), XP was STILL supported for another 4 years.
Show me a recent version of OS X, or any iOS device that receives support for anything close to that period.
Windows 8.1 is a free update from Windows 8, just as OS X Mavericks was a free update from Mountain Lion (a paid upgrade, 2012), Lion (a paid upgrade, 2011) or Snow Leopard (a paid upgrade, 2009) but a paid update from Leopard (2007), if your particular product is actually supported (if not, just buy some new Mac hardware). I fail to see any difference that makes Apple less of a "Millionaires Club" than Microsoft. They're both as "bad" as each other (ignoring that their point of existing as a company is to make money).
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool So why does M$ offer so much support? Maybe it needs decades of support it to stave off litigation over fitness for purpose by it's enterprise clients? Was 8.1 an upgrade or a firefight over the 'Vista' that was 8.0? And is having so many service packs and hotfixes such a good thing? Customers, whether enterprise or domestic, demand something that works. Linux works and is secure. IoS works and is secure. Would you buy a car that was always being recalled - sorry, supported? I doubt there are many Millionaires Club members who are Linux based - Sorry Penguins.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Owner of Ubuntu is one  Wink Mark Shuttleworth
Thunderclap
Grafter

So is that why Ubuntu are abandoning cloud sharing... beause there's no $$$$$$ in it?
I do wonder if Ubuntu is really trying to do some kind of land grab on the island of GNU?