Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablets and security

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Tablets and security

Are tablets such as Samsung galaxy secure to do things like banking and other financial transactions on ?
Assume we are talking about a home network rather than a public one ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Tablets and security

I was asked a question a few months ago...
Q) Do you do banking on your mobile phone?
A) No..
Q) Why is that?
A) Because it doesn't feel as secure as my home PC.
The same goes for my tablet.
Recently I loaded my bank's app on my phone but only use it to check balances and very rarely.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TORPC
Grafter

Personally, I would not use a tablet to do online banking Wink
That said as long as you haven't got any dodgy apps installed, & it is not a Chinese clone, then it should be secure enough
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Do banking on my phone and tablet all the time.
Don't see why its any less secure than a PC, provided you're sensible, the same equally applies to PC use.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Without getting too technical is the software used on these tablets similar to Linux in the sense that nothing can get on the tablet unless you put it there ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Don't see why its any less secure than a PC, provided you're sensible, the same equally applies to PC use.

Well the hudl for a start has no status bar and does not clearly show https protected websites.
Thats a very basic sign that any device should display clearly yet it doesn't. if other tablets are the same then it's a minefield.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: DaveyH

Well the hudl for a start has no status bar and does not clearly show https protected websites.

I use Chrome on Android and that does...
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool You should always take a view on the device you are using for secure online activity - shopping, banking, gaming, dating, etc
The vanilla browser that ships with Android ICS+ I understand, is a Chrome-ish browser that's evolved from Webkit, and is as 'safe' as any other browser - before it's zero day exploit is found. You can also use Chrome which ships with Samsung devices. I'd say for your personal business tab, install Apps from the Google Play store only and if you can, disable much of the crapapp bloatware.
I believe the real issue when using Android tablets is one of security culture. We are so used to having a Windows System Tray crammed with security icons that using devices without them, leaves the us feeling somewhat nood. Not an issue with iPad users as they have heard the mantra "Apple doesn't get viruses."
Anyway, if you need more clothes, take a look at these Android antivirus apps >
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/security/3355021/best-android-antivirus-tested/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You are most likely to get a 'virus' on a tablet device by being tricked into installing it yourself because you think you are installing something else that is not harmful.  Apple tablets only let you install apps from the Apple Store and Apple maintain that everything there is carefully vetted.  Other tablet manufacturers may not be so scrupulous or so restrictive and so it's more likely that a virus might slip through.