Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet stuck in start up

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Tablet stuck in start up

Got a tablet, generic, that is stuck in start up. Gets to the android screen, then status there. Any suggestions as to how to reset it.
There is no reset button. I have tried holding combinations of buttons on start up. I opened it up but can't see a button cell, such as you would have in a pc. So no idea how to erase flak memory and force it to reset. Not even sure if it is possible to do so.
The tablet was cheap nearly a year ago, so physical experiments are an option. Just doing this to see if it's possible and learn how they physically work.
7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Tablet stuck in start up

Have you tried holding the power button for a short while then pressing and releasing the volume up button?
Anything here useful?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, just got in (my birthday party, 59) . I will work through them tomorrow.  Smiley
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Right, worked through all possible combinations of buttons. Nothing worked. Angry
Anyone for a game of Frisbee? Grin Grin
Come on TorpC, this is your field of expertise.    (You on a sabbatical?)  Smiley Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

How old is it? Where did you get it?
If it is new then return it.
If you can't return it then you need to get the ORIGINAL FIRMWARE for it. Then flash it again, you will loose everything on it.
Things to try before the above.
leave it for about a week, then try and if it doesn't even power then plug it in and try again, this may have cured it - had it work in a couple of tablets.
Look round the edge for a small hole (not the mic) insert a pin and see if it clicks this maybe the reset button, power up and press it.
Failing all the above do you know the model of tablet what processor etc?
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

It's a cheap Chinese knockout. I'm just trying to fix it, to see if I can. Bought for wife to see if she liked the idea of tablet. Going to get her a hudl2 for Christmas, so this is really just timewasting, and tinkering for pleasure. I always look at it that if something is broken, I can't make it any worse! So this is an opportunity to tinker without worrying to much about damaging it.
Tried various power button combinations, to no avail. Going to download something called srs which allows access to android systems through pc/laptop. See how I get on.
I have already separated it to see there is an internal power cell, like the button cell in most pc's, but can't see one. May try disconnecting battery too drain any residual power, to see if that resets it.
Going to try the physical stuff first, as I really want to see how they work, and software issues are pretty much universal and cross platform.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

With an android the boot loop (hang) is usually software related.
Goto Techknow if you know your tablet name then they maybe able to help you.
To get access to android from a pc, you really need the usb debugging enabled on the tablet, and since you can't boot it you can't enable it. Unless it was on by default (unlikely)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if its an allwinner a20 based device then it should be press and hold power +volume down buttons until it vibrates  to initiate the installer menu
before doing that though ensure and usb or sd cards have been removed,
if that comes up with a list scroll down to the factory restore option (if the touch screen doesn't work use the volume buttons to scroll and the power button to select)
it should spend a few minutes reinstalling everything from the rom and then work as before
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you