Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet O.S. update/upgrade query

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Tablet O.S. update/upgrade query

I am thinking of buying a really cheap tablet, to get my feet fingers wet, so to speak... it is set up with Android 4.04 ice cream sandwich as the o.s...... I understand from other threads, that there are later versions of Android.
How would I update/upgrade to the latest... and would I really need to?
It will only be used occasionally, for surfing, and the very occasional email. ..
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Tablet O.S. update/upgrade query

Assuming the manufacturer doesn't have a more recent OTA update available then you'd probably need to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and install a custom ROM e.g. Cyanogenmod. How easy that is to do somewhat depends on the device. Probably worth a spot of Googling before committing if this is what you're planning on doing.
Personally I'd look for Jellybean or above but for browsing/email 4.04 would be fine.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. Thanks for that....
it`s just under £40... and I thought it might be useful to play around with before committing more loot to something I didn`t ( possibly ) need . !>>>!>>  !  ! 
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

It will be a waste of £40. The really cheap tablets are best avoided.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Depends on what you want to do with them.
Look for:
At least Dual core - Quad is better but not all are equal, if they show a speed test then the HIGHER the better don't touch anything <8000.
Preferable 1Gb of ram - 512Mb is norm
Preferable 8Gb "ROM" - 4Gb is norm.
The Rom is how many programs you can install on the tablet. I have several cheap (<£50) tablets that will play games, surf, etc but if you want bluetooth then get one with it built in as FEW have drivers for BT dongles.
Other issue with the cheap tablets is power, you are looking at ~2Hrs use then it needs charged again.
shutter
Community Veteran

As mentioned in the original post... it will not be used "extensively"... only for an occasional surf... ( map reading on google maps when in strange places)... or occasional email,... this first link is the one I was drawn to,..... 
http://www.minigadget.co.uk/minigadget-micro-ultra-slim-android-tablet-p-75.html
But reading down the spec lists... and in particular attaching/using a 3G wireless dongle.... the one I have is not supported.... so I noted an "alternative"...
http://www.minigadget.co.uk/minigadget-micro-ultra-slim-android-tablet-p-75.html
Which does support the 3G dongle I have... BUT is much bigger... !..
both would suit my usage if both had the 3G dongle support....  ( obviously, I don`t want to spend money on another 3G dongle ! ! !)...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

And basically you are "stuck" with the android version supplied with cheaper tablets. They churn out new models so fast that they don't bother supporting the "older" ones.
That 1st tablet you mention is a SLOW tablet single processor probably an A10/13 look for something that is dual core at least (A20/23)
Ebay/Amazon will give you the dual core for about the same cost.
nadger
Rising Star

Being Google my Nexus7 has updated several times to current 4.4.2
You get what you pay for and my other Android devices are still on their original versions.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I know you get what you pay for.... I am not expecting a formula one version, when paying for a push bike.... however, it is possible to add new gears to push bikes that will "upgrade them".. to a better spec .. may not go much faster, ( depending on the fitness of cyclist! !) but it does make it easier to use... hence my original query.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Actually there isn't much to compare between Android version in terms of "ease of use", Things tend to be REMOVED in newer versions - like move to sd, where you could use an external sdcard as storage, was removed in 4.2.1 real PITA I can tell you.
Newest I have is 4.2.1 so I can only compare 1.6->upwards.
nadger
Rising Star

@shutter - for £40 go for it  Smiley
As HMcB says there's not a lot to choose between later versions of Android.
My 2012 Nexus7 sometimes goes for a few days without being used.
shutter
Community Veteran

Having taken HB`s advice,... I have just bought this one....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251486278604?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Which should do what I want to do....
Thanks, HB  Wink