Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV recording..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

TV recording..

Hi all

So PVRs use hard drives. Computers use hard drives. Is there a way to record the telly on a computer quickly and easily?

I don't have a TV card or anything.. i was hoping there might be a way to do it via the internet?

Thanks,

7up

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
26 REPLIES 26
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: TV recording..

TV card or capture card, or some form of screen capture if you can access the live feed in your browser.
See @Shutters comments about recording some German stuff.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@7up & @HairyMcbiker  I found that the free program "AnyVideoRecorder" did an excellent job . minimise the "on line"   ¬live¬ t.v. program, so you have a smaller screen area... ( like in You tube vids )... and have the AVR program, on the bottom task bar.... when you have the screen ready to watch/record the program, click the AVR icon, and give it permission,..

any video recorder interface.png

. then move it to the right ( or left ) of the tv page, so you can just see the red "RECORD" button.   when ready to record..     

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENTERED A "Output File Name" in the white box and then click on " REC"  button....  

then press the REC button,

any vid full screen.png

and you will be given an opportunity to adjust the red border to the size of the screen you have on your page,by the top left corner, and moving the sides and top and bottom edge lines in grab and move....

when ready...   click on " REC"  button....  

any vid red screen.png

it will then record ONLY what is within the red squared screen.  until you give it the STOP order.. when it will "mux" the sound and video, and leave you with a "good copy" in the AnyVideoRecorder folder .(OR .you can make your own destinataion folder before recording   see the first General settings pic ).

When you go there.to "play back".. on your desired video player..( mine is GOM Player ).. it will give you a FULL SIZED FULL SCREEN version in good quality...  If you then wanted to... you could copy that to a usb stick and play that on your GIANT telly... ! ! .

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My tv has the ability to record but only to USB stick, not sure if that's what you are after but there are some USB sticks with a fair bit of capacity on them. But if you're after recording direct from TV via computer then I can recommend a prog called AnyVidoeRecorder, works well and it's free. As @HairyMcbiker says, Shutter has started using it and getting good results.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good point @Pete11 - @7up does your TV have USB ports?

I've not tried recording, but I have tried playing media back directly on a portable HD connected to the TV, which worked fine. Presumably if you have some memory stick or USB media you can record onto there too.

I have a Samsung TV.

shutter
Community Veteran

@7up wrote:

Hi all

So PVRs use hard drives. Computers use hard drives. Is there a way to record the telly on a computer quickly and easily?

I don't have a TV card or anything.. i was hoping there might be a way to do it via the internet?

Thanks,

7up

My reply was assuming that you were wanting to record "LIVE TV" as streamed to your computer, via the internet... ( not live tv as provided in PlusNet or Virgin or whowever "package"..

Limited choice, but you can get "live tv" here...  without a TV Card...

http://www.tvguide.co.uk

To view the current "live tv" broadcast... you need to select  "Watch Now" on the channel name on the left side.

channel listings without "watch now" are not available via  this means.

This site          https://tvplayer.com/           gives a wider selection/different selection of stations you can watch LIVE ..

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

Hi all

Thanks,

7up

Why bother?

Recording in real time is utterly pointless in an age where content is mostly available on demand, or if you really want to 'archive' it then s/w like get_iplayer, Sickbeard/Sickrage, Sonarr and the like exist...

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I find it useful when wifey wants to watch something, so I record a prog that I want to watch...saves arguments (or should I say 'heated debates').  Lips_are_sealed

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
shutter
Community Veteran

@DaveyH  Each to his own..... that`s "why bother"....  a bit like saying ... Why bother going to the pub.... when you can buy your drink on line and have it delivered...   "why bother"...  ? ? ? ?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@7up wrote:

Unless it's a 'one-off' program you want to record, IMO you can't beat a good TV-tuner card.  I've got quad DVB/T2 (TBS6285) and DVB/S2 (TBS6985) tuner cards in my PC (satellite card not connected ATM though) which I use for everyday recordings, using the free MediaPortal TV software installed on various PCs on my LAN, and very reliable it is too.

Using MediaPortal I can simultaneously record more than the 4 DVB channels you might expect with a quad-tuner card, as that software is able to tune/record all the channels on a multiplex with each tuner (i.e. 1 multiplex per tuner), which I believe is something other software such as Windows Media Center can't do, and I suspect along with most if not all PVRs available ATM.

Additionally, using a PC to record off-air broadcasts gives you more flexibility, such as allowing you to transfer the recorded files between storage devices etc. which I don't think most (all?) TVs and PVRs do.

If you're prepared to keep looking on eBay I'm sure you'd be able to pick up a bargain.  Wink

Mav
Fixes: 514

My Panasonic plasma TV (circa 2010) has the ability to record to a HDD but uses a proprietry format which Windows cannot read so I have never used it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've recorded a Windows 8 VM in full screen with that "AnyVideoRecorder" (Sound & Vision) to get slightly better than DVD quality - however it produced about 1.2GByte for a 50 minute programme.

This can be safely reduced to about 800MBytes using a post-production program...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

You can get the file size down using dvd shrink, it shrinks more than dvd's if used correctly with no loss of quality.  Thumbs_Up

Alex
Community Veteran

It's like anything. Perhaps the OP wants to do it themselves. I would.

Like anything there are always easier approaches, and people who have already done it. As frustrating as it is, I would try and do it myself. I'm sure TV recording is not urgent, but once you get it working you'll be happy with yourself.

Otherwise how do you learn?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Mav wrote:

My Panasonic plasma TV (circa 2010) has the ability to record to a HDD but uses a proprietry format which Windows cannot read so I have never used it.

Not only that, but you'd probably find that if you plugged the HDD containing any programs recorded by your TV into another similar TV it also wouldn't play, at least that's the case with the 2 Samsung TVs I've owned in the past 5 years.  Sad

I think that's probably due to an attempt at copyright protection, although no doubt some people will know how to get around that (I haven't bothered trying or researching how to do so).