cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV not working, internet, phone all fine.

DeOliveira

TV not working, internet, phone all fine.

i have recently moved house. i have broadband, wifi, landline. The TV wont work, it won't connect. its a flat screen with freeview on it but nothing works. so do i have to connect the telly to something to get it to work? I've been in the new property for about 2 months now. The wifi is not so strong from room to room....  

any advice will be very appreciative, i think i have given up on everything.....

DD

12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: TV not working, internet, phone all fine.

Does your TV connect via wifi or ethernet cable? You'll need to connect it via the relevant method, probably worth consulting the manual that came with it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@DeOliveira wrote:

... . The TV wont work, it won't connect. its a flat screen with freeview on it but nothing works. so do i have to connect the telly to something to get it to work?

Presumably you've connected an aerial to it?  Undecided

DeOliveira

Its ethernet. TV says 'no satellite signal being received'. xx

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

AFAIK you still need an aerial to receive the FreeView channels.

DeOliveira

thank you. i will try that. old house must've had built-in aerial and didn't check this in new property. i will look around. 

dnpark38
Rising Star

@DeOliveira wrote:

TV says 'no satellite signal being received'. xx

You need a satellite dish then.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

no satellite signal being received

That tends to indicate it's a FreeSat TV and if so it will need a connection from a satellite dish.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dnpark38
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

That tends to indicate it's a FreeSat TV and if so it will need a connection from a satellite dish.

Would have thought even so would have Freeview terrestrial tuner in as well and he could plug an aerial in.

OP what do you have?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
DeOliveira

i have freesat TV AND a SKY box to connect to telly to view freesat channels. Aerial is plugged in. but still no signal. is this a Plusnet issue or would you say i need to contact landlord?

thank you. i really appreciate this Smiley

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Assuming the aerial and downlead itself is OK, you may need to tell the TV to use the 'Terrestrial Antenna' or similar during the tuning process.  You may also need to select 'Digital' as opposed to 'Analogue' when selecting the 'Terrestrial Antenna'.

If you'd care to tell us what the TV make and model are someone may be able to help further.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

i have freesat TV AND a SKY box to connect to telly to view freesat channels

Sounds like you actually have a Freeview TV and a SKY box. The SKy box needs a satellite feed ( or even 2 ) and the TV needs an aerial feed.

TV says 'no satellite signal being received'

My guess is that the TV is being automatically switched to the Sky box HDMI/SCART input and that message is actually from the Sky box. Assuming you've got an aerial plugged into the TV you should be able to change the 'source' input to be the aerial and at least get the Freeview channels.

Either way it's not a PlsuNet issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@DeOliveira wrote:

i have freesat TV AND a SKY box to connect to telly to view freesat channels. Aerial is plugged in. but still no signal. is this a Plusnet issue or would you say i need to contact landlord?

thank you. i really appreciate this Smiley

this has nothing to do with plusnet, and probably nothing to do with your landlord either

if you don't have a dish on your building providing service to you then you won't get any signal from anything.
sky box doesn't use an aerial for signal, it uses a satellite feed.