cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV as monitor?

picbits
Rising Star

Re: TV as monitor?

If your PC has a DVI output then it may work with a DVI to HDMI lead - they are around £3-£4 from Amazon.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I regularly use DVI to HDMI, but remember that will be video only.
You need a separate Audio lead to use the TV speakers and "probably" to dive into the Setup menus to make sure the correct Audio input is used for that external video input.
On my TV only one of the 2 HDMI inputs is configurable that way.  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: 7up
Should have thought of that really with your supreme intelligence Wink

Thanks, but I wasn't really trying. 
So you have a TV set without a VGA input and a computer without an HDMI output.  Your favourite colour is red and your mothers' name was June.  Or maybe I don't read minds and it's best to mention the technical details for my benefit  - or in fact for the benefit of anyone else trying to help.  You haven't said what graphics output ports you have on the computer nor if your TV has anything other than an HDMI input. 
nanotm
Pro

in the past I've run an s-video output from my pc to a tv, works great for films but not so much for anything else.....
as to the output /input system there's a plethora of options in terms of adaptors or leads available in the under £5 bracket, although if I'm honest I would just list the tv with no sound output on ebay and use the cash from that to buy something more fitting for the space.
split screen on a single display is horrible to work with unless you spent a lot of money and use the proper display input box, what you suggesting would best be achieved by having the tv and a monitor with the same resolution and you would require dual outputs from the gfx adaptor, failing that get a cheap low profile gfx card off ebay (again theres often plenty of them for under £20) and you don't need a soldering iron to make them work
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

My TV (a Samsung SyncMaster T27B550) is technically a monitor, but it has TV parts added on to make it a TV, but works superbly as a monitor for my game PC, but the screen response time is a bit slow, though to be honest I don't really care cos it shows a picture that changes fast enough for me, so, it does the job... Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: HPsauce
I regularly use DVI to HDMI, but remember that will be video only.
You need a separate Audio lead to use the TV speakers and "probably" to dive into the Setup menus to make sure the correct Audio input is used for that external video input.
On my TV only one of the 2 HDMI inputs is configurable that way.  Wink

TV has scart and i *think* it has HDMI but can't actually find the instructions to confirm this. I was never really worried about sound but as i say the first few replies seemed to indicate that image quality may be a problem so i don't think i'll bother now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mav
Fixes: 515

I was very happy with the quality of the display from the laptop to the plasma. Full HD films looked amazing.
My issue was when attempting to use the mouse and keyboard for general use. As the TV is wall mounted it was uncomfortable to be looking up while bending over the laptop.
I have also connected the PC to the plasma with similar excellent displays but same issue regarding using keyboard and mouse.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro

what make /model of tv is it out of interest ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran

Off the top of my head, not a clue! It's in the bedroom against the wall covered in all sorts of crap lol.
I did have the manual around here somewhere but can't find it..
7up
Community Veteran

Hey gang!
Well with a little bit of cash that came in recently i've managed to acquire a DVI -> HDMI lead  Cheesy
I've dragged out one of my old computers (single core 2.8GHz Celeron D) with a dual monitor output (one VGA and one DVI) for testing on our main TV. It's great for youtube but as a second monitor (at 60Hz) it does start to make the eyes feel a little sore after a while!
Note to ReedRichards: When I said i had no DVI / HDMI output i meant on my desktop computer before you start Wink . Completely forgot about the old redundant one which does have DVI.
Anyhow, youtube works ok (alright.. single core, flash being cpu heavy, it gets a bit glitchy here and there but its the best i can do) and it seems ok for general purpose video watching from files on the HDD so I'll leave it at that.
As for the spare TV upstairs.. with low refresh rates making my eyes sore i won't even bother with it! Infact i may have a mate who wants it if i can fix the sound..
Anyhow thanks for all your advice chums..  Wink
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

You can have a bit of fun with TVs used as monitors, one of the things I like doing with mine when I've got one of my two PCs running (one via VGA, one via HDMI to DVI) is displaying an LCARS display, this one being an MSD for the U.S.S. Leeds (the Nebula class starship that was featured in the titles for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine docked with the station)... Grin

And yes, that is a real american Western Electric 500 telephone... Cool
7up
Community Veteran

lol