Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV aerial splitter ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

TV aerial splitter ?

just a general question has anyone ant idea,s ?  i have i digital aerial on my chimney ,, but need to feed 2 tv,s 1 upstairs 1 downstairs . i have had no end of problems  Angry have tried first one of the Y conectors that plug into one TV then cable up to the other , but only seam to work for a short time , before the break and loose signal to both tv,s.
so i recently bought a white surface monted box with two outlets thus giving me 2 connections inside but what i have found that not so long the conections break down and loose signal again  :-[.
inside the box there is a resistor that has a solderd joint between the sockets has broken now twice.
so what i need is a conection from my aerial to the bedroom upstairs then down outside to the living room , hopefullly to last more than a few weeks .
any help appreciated  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TV aerial splitter ?

If the strength of signal is adequate you can do what I did to the surface mounted box - I soldered in the connections from the incomer to the two outlets and that hasn't broken
Or you can use something like this in the loft and run two separate feeds http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-way-f-splitter-29530
hulls
Grafter

Or if the signal isn't strong enough, then run the cable to the loft, into a signal booster, and take 2 outlets from that.  That's what I've got.
John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I too have a signal booster running 3 feeds and works fine.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't mention I have a 6+1 output digital amplifier
The +1 one is the high powered output I feed to the splitter which feeds the TV and the DVD Hard Drive recorder via a set top box
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

signal is fine  Wink may try one of them oldjim suggested , but  is it best to have F connectors crimped or are the screw type any good ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
CX
Grafter

For the past 10 years we've needed a distribution amplifier up in the loft. You need this to be as early in the cable as possible (i.e. as close to the aerial as it can get) because they amplify any noise that may have been picked up along the way.
Now that we've had DSO in this area, I can get away with passively splitting the connection without the amplifier. As others have recommended - get a proper all-metal one, preferably with F-connector sockets (and don't forget to buy some F-connectors!)
You may even find that replacing the building contractor-grade coax with some decent satellite-grade (CT100 equivalent) will allow you to split without an amplifier.
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

F Connectors are screw on - I always use these as they tend to be more secure than the the TV plug type which can accidentally be knocked out.
A good source for advice and parts is: http://www.satcure.co.uk
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

CT100 is no longer manufactured (although you may still find some suppliers selling off old stock.) WF100 is a better cable (foam dielectric copper-copper.) I use this for all my cable runs, both internally and externally.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just seen in my local Sainsbury, a four room distribution set, two inputs, DAB and TV,Amplified,  a snip at reduced to £7.99
pierre_pierre
Grafter