Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Sound problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

TV Sound problem

Panasonic 42inch flat screen tv.     USB powered computer speakers plugged into the phone outlet on the back

Both speakers work fine....

speakers have a socket on the front to plug in phones.... this mutes the speakers.

( I wanted this arrangement so I can watch my music videos on big screen, when missus is in bed, and not use the speakers, but use "proper" earphones).

On plugging in the phones to the speakers..... sound only comes in the left earpiece.

Removing the USB Phones plug from the back of the tv and plugging the phones in direct to the phones outlet   .... sound only comes in the left earpiece.

( suspect the phones )... however.... I use the phones on my laptop, and have double checked ( after this problem on the tv )... and the phones work properly.

Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: TV Sound problem

Maybe somewhere in the TVs settings menu there is an option to adjust the balance between L and R which has somehow been moved to left?

You may find that just the left speaker on the TV itself is the only one 'working'?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

do the headphone have a microphone built in too?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Been through the settings... and restored to factory reset.... 

Also... why does the usb speakers work .... and the phones don`t  ?   does not compute ! ! !... if only one side were working on the tv... (due to the settings )  then only one side would be working on anything plugged into the outlet socket  ? ? ? ? 

shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:
do the headphone have a microphone built in too?

no.... just normal over the ear padded phones...

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Could well be a faulty connector on the USB speakers given the checks that you've reported on?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MauriceC  Doubt it....  

quote from original post...

plugging the phones in direct to the phones outlet   .... sound only comes in the left earpiece.

That being the same place at the back of the tv where the USB phones lead is plugged in.which produces sound in both speakers..

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try plugging the speakers into your laptop, with the phones plugged into the speakers... Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Kevin
Rising Star

Sounds to me like the headphone jack body is too big, and is preventing it plugging all the way in to the USB/TV socket. Happens a lot with phones with protective cases.

Kevin.