Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP link routers Vunrable

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

TP link routers Vunrable

Well over 185,000 TP-Link routers that are connected to the internet have a critical vulnerability, for which no patch is available yet. The vulnerability allows an attacker to execute code remotely on the device.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/over-185000-tp-link-routers-vulnerable-to-remote-code-execution-(ag...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
6 REPLIES 6
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: TP link routers Vunrable

Wasn't they used as the first lot of white boxs ?

DD-WRT be the best option then....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@30FTTC06 wrote:

DD-WRT be the best option then....

Haven`t a clue what that is... but I`ll go to ASDA and see if they stock it.... seeing as DDT has been banned. ... would ordinary Fly & Wasp killer work just as well?  I got a couple cheap from Lidl last year...

In other words... what you have posted does not make sense to anyone, unless they are conversant with "tech speak"... and those persons are already likely to know about this situation...

.  for the lesser mortals, who haven`t a clue..(. except that they know they need a router to connect to the internet..). your comment means they haven`t a clue what to do about it, .the information  is as useful as a chocolate fireguard in the height of the winter and roaring log fires... and that could be just as worrying, or more so, than not posting about the problem in the first place.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you cared to look you would see that both of those are ROUTERS so wouldn't apply around here unless you was more of an enthusiast, and to that end would be more savey with that kind of kit! seeing as you are not I'll point it out just for you.

Tomato and DD-WRT are a set of custom firmwares that (more) savy people use to get many more options than a normal ROUTERS firmware would otherwise give, which also happens to be updated on a regular basis with up to date security patches and kernels.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ah... Right !... now I understand why this board is called "TECH HELP".... not for the lesser mortals then.... Just how did all these people learn about all this techy stuff anyway ?  Were they born with the information ?  A bit like which came first....the chicken or the egg...

Ah well, never mind... I`ll catch up with it someday... ( maybe )  EmbarrassedHuh

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There is an enormously long thread on hacking your router firmware. It's straight-forward, but...personally, I would never touch firmware with a bargepole.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Welshdragon
Rising Star

I have to agree with @shutter

Tech help is NOT only for the the Tech savvy, but also for those that want to learn from the ground up, or because they have a Tech issue they do not know how to resolve or properly set up.

Implying Tech Help is NOT for the mere mortals, is abhorrent to say the least and is defo discriminatory to those that require help, whether or not they are Tech savvy or not.

It is like saying to a disabled person, you refuse to help them because they have only just become disabled and e.g. not had time to train they're arm muscles to properly wheel a chair up a gradient from a flat level surface