cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Archer AC750 port forwarding SSH connections using non-standard port

m0rphe0us
Dabbler

Re: TP-Link Archer AC750 port forwarding SSH connections using non-standard port

Sorry, I'm running Ubuntu 14.0.4 LTS (no systemd).  I may well upgrade to 16.0.x LTS this weekend (I've been meaning to do that for a while now).

m0rphe0us
Dabbler

Re: TP-Link Archer AC750 port forwarding SSH connections using non-standard port

@MJN

This is what I have done (at the terminal of the desktop machine physically attached to the router):

1. /etc/ssh/sshd_config modified to specify new port number

2. Restarted sshd service

3. Used nmap -p <port number> --open -sV 192.168.0.0/24 to check that SSH is running on the specified port

when I attempt to ssh on the desktop machine (connected to the router):

ssh -p <portnum> morpheous@local_ip_address

I am able to login.

HOWEVER, when I attempt to run the same command (ssh) on my laptop machine (which is connected to the LAN via Wifi), the connection times out.

ssh

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Can you ping the desktop from the laptop (to prove network connectivity)?
m0rphe0us
Dabbler

@MJN Yes. I can ping the desktop from the laptop. No packets lost

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Something doesn't sound right. If you change the port back to 22 does it start working again? How about a different port?
m0rphe0us
Dabbler

@MJN nd @SpendLessTime, thanks for your help on this thus far. I've switched back to standard port 22, and everything (so far), seems to be working. This issue is becoming a distraction, not worth the time its taking to try to resolve. I will simply run SSH on port 22, and run fail2ban on my server.

Thanks for your help and patience in dealing with my questions.