Hooked

Re: TP-Link 9970 with Netgear R7000

It wasn't an option on quick setup and this is an ADSL connection

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Sorry , I completely lost the plot there!

Was there a plusnet_adsl option ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so I've hopefully got my brain back in gear (and ADSL mode!).

It's been a while since I configured any ADSL modem but I seem to recall there are 2 options for 'encapsulation'.

Normally when using a modem/router it would be a PPPoA connection and VC-MUX encapsulation. I've got a feeling that when using a modem in bridge mode (with a router making a PPPoE connection) the encapsulation needs to be set to LLC/SNAP. It's certainly worth trying both VC-MUX and LLC/SNAP to see if it makes any difference.

Also check that VPI/VCI are correctly set to 0/38

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PoBear If you are setting up the TP-Link as an ADSL modem in bridged mode there should be no username or password information to enter in the modem configuration, when acting as a dumb modem it knows nothing about the ISP it is connecting to. So in your message #14 you would not expect the W9970 to connect to Plusnet as it has no ISP credentials, the modem should achieve sync but not a PPP connection. I am not sure what the "Bridge record" you mention is, but I can only suggest that the device is not correctly configured as a stand alone modem.

I have been trying the TP-Link router emulator which shows the set up screens, apart from disabling the wireless, it should all be on the quick setup as @MisterW states  ADSL mode, VPI/VCI 0/38, Connection Type Bridge

No ISP username or password needed, that is in the router.

Not sure about the different encapsulation types it may work with either or it sets up the correct one by default

PoBear
Hooked

OK

I've done another factory reset on the W9970.

The setup procedure is different from that used in old posts on this subject there is no longer an option to set it up in bridge mode from the Quick Setup, it goes straight into connecting to an ISP as a router.

What I am doing is interrupting this process before it creates a PPPoA connection and manually creating a bridge one. see the attached jpg which shows the info prior to putting it into bridge mode.

I have more screen captures but only seen to be able to add one image.

PoBear
Hooked

Ignore my last post I spotted an error on the jpg I posted, the VCI was set to 35 not 38, they looked the same on the setup screen on my monitor, it was only when I changed the magnification that I could see it.

Success. I'm connected.

Thanks to everyone for your help and patience

So the setup is now

1. Power on W9970 if new or do a factory reset (small button next to power)

2. Create a new password.

3, Select your region and timezone

4. Select your ISP/type of connection (may not be necessary)

5. When login information for the ISP is showing select the Advanced tab

6. In the left panel select Internet connection

7. On the new screen you should see a table with no entries, first column is WAN interface name

8. Select the "Add" button top-right of the table

9. On the new screen set the following

DSL Modulation type - ADSL

VPI - 0

VCI - 38

Internet Connection type - Bridge

10. Save

11. You should have an entry in the table 

br_0_38_0  0/38  Connected  

12. Turn off Wifi  and DHCP

13. Configure router to connect to W9970. I had to run a CAT5/6 cable from one of the Ethernet sockets on the W9970 to the WAN socket on my R7000. Expect the R7000 to have an IP address off of your normal subnet, I use 192.168.1.x and the R7000 came up on 10.0.0.1, just change the LAN settings.

Hope this helps someone else

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Looks like you have sorted it, congratulations. 😀

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad you got it working