Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link 9970 with Netgear R7000

PoBear
Hooked

TP-Link 9970 with Netgear R7000

Hi

I'm relatively new to this so please be gentle.

I've replaced my supplied PlusNet Router with a TP-Link TD-9970. I've tried setting this into bridged mode so I can use it just as a modem and use my R7000 as a router. The two are showing as connected but whatever I try; automatic or manual setup I cannot get an internet connection up.

They are both on the same subnet with different IP addresses and I have set my Plusnet credentials in the R7000 which is set to PPPoE.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

22 REPLIES 22
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: TP-Link 9970 with Netgear R7000

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@PoBear just to be sure , do you have an ADSL ( normal broadband ) or an FTTC ( Fibre broadband ) connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@MisterW They are ADSL I think - checked previous posts.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  But those posts are over 7 years old, things could have changed in that time.🙄

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

True - but maybe they have, maybe they haven't, so I withdraw my comment. When the OP returns, we will know.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The post was originally in the ADSL board but I'd like to be sure before we try and advise. I've used a 9970 in modem (bridge) mode on an FTTC connection, so I know it works in that configuration, but I've never tried it on ADSL (it should work though!)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@PoBear wrote:

They are both on the same subnet with different IP addresses and I have set my Plusnet credentials in the R7000 which is set to PPPoE.

If the TP-link is set as a bridge modem why does it need an IP address or is that to get the stats? If so shouldn’t this be a fixed address in the fixed address range of the Netgear?

Also doesn’t ADSL require the use of PPPoA not E?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

When I had ADSL_Max , not ADSL2+ I always used a PPPoE connection in the wireless access point (which also provided the routing function) with a separate modem, I think either PPPoA or E will work.

PoBear
Hooked

OK to clarify.

This is an ADSL connection

The IP addresses are to access the gui's on the w9970 and the r7000. The r7000 initially booted on a different subnet.

w9970 is using PPPoA to connect to Plusnet and the r7000 PPPoE to connect to the w9970 when it is acting as a modem, the r7000 does not have a PPPoA option but I did not think it was needed when connecting to a modem

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If the TP-link is set as a bridge modem why does it need an IP address or is that to get the stats? If so shouldn’t this be a fixed address in the fixed address range of the Netgear?

The only way to get the stats when its in bridge mode, is to connect to one of the LAN ports. It still hosts a dhcp server and IIRC will hand out a 192.168.1.x address.

An ADSL bridge modem bridges the ADSL ATM layer to an Ethernet connection , hence the router makes a PPPoE connection. It shouldn't matter if the R7000 happens to have the same LAN subnet as the 9970. The WAN port on the R7000 will get the public IP and any local LAN subnet traffic won't get out via the WAN port.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This is an ADSL connection

@PoBear  Ok, so I'd start by factory resetting the 9970, then use the quick setup and select PlusNet_ADSL from the drop down, select bridge mode and IIRC it should reboot. The DSL led should flash as it synchronises and then go steady. If it doesnt , then we have a basic problem and may need to connect a laptop to one of its LAN ports and access the GUI to see what is going on.

Assuming we have DSL sync, then connect the R7000 WAN port to a LAN port (I think I used to use port 4) on the 9970. Check that you have the correct credentials for the PPPoE settings, including the @plusdsl.net after the username and the correct password (its the same one you use to login to the member centre).

Post back how that goes...

PoBear
Hooked

Hi guys

Thank you so much for the replies so far.

I'm going to put a hold on things for 24 hours. Having failed to get the r7000 working I have switched the w9970 back to modem/router so I could get my network up and running again, however, my internet connection has been bouncing up and down all day so I want to see if it calms down, the old Plusnet box was rock solid so it's a bit of a surprise.

PoBear
Hooked

OK

So for some reason, the W9970 did not like my existing cabling so I had to move it next to the telephone socket and then run new Cat6 cables to connect it back into my network and then (after 12 hours of the DSP bouncing every couple of minutes) I found out that the supplied cable was loose in the socket.

Anyway, after 24 hours of uptime, I tried to reconfigure the W9970 as a modem again.

Did a factory reset and once I had got past defining the region and time opted for a manual setup and added a "bridge" record and let the W9970 connect to Plusnet. I now understand why this part of the setup did not work, following the TP-Link instructions I added a bridge record to the config, what it does not say is that you need to do this during the initial setup, I'd already set it up as a modem/router!

The DSL light was solid so I tried to connect the R7000 but still no luck, I tried a factory reset, automatic setup and a manual one but it refuses to connect to the W9970.

I did get it set up, eventually, as an AP but that means I can't use half the functionality that I bought it for.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Did a factory reset and once I had got past defining the region and time opted for a manual setup and added a "bridge" record and let the W9970 connect to Plusnet. I now understand why this part of the setup did not work, following the TP-Link instructions I added a bridge record to the config, what it does not say is that you need to do this during the initial setup, I'd already set it up as a modem/router!

I'm pretty sure that if you use the quick setup , select PlusNet_VDSL and then bridge mode, the bridge record is setup automatically. If you've set it manually, then you need to check that you've got a VLAN ID of 101 set.

I've never used a R7000 myself, but setting up a router should be just a matter of setting the WAN to PPPoE and entering you plusnet credentials.

What you could perhaps do is post screendumps of the relevant setup pages of both the 9970 & R7000 ( redact any personal info as this is a public form ) then we can give them a check for anything obvious wrong.