cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600

Spikeyman
Dabbler

TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600

Having recently joined PN for Fibre BB I would like to know if anyone can assist with information if a TP-Link TD-W8980 N600 Router will work in place of the PN router which has a poor Wi-Fi signal? 

I have read I am using  FTTC on my account if that helps.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

If the router is compatible and you know the settings I have to make that would also be gratefully received. 

Thank you for reading 

13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600

The TD-W8980 is not suitable for FTTC (It is an ADSL Modem/router only) as a direct replacement for the Plusnet Hub One. Device information taken from https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W8980.html

You may be able to configure it as a WiFi access point and turn off WiFi on the Hub One but that is beyond my skill set.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Spikeyman whether or not it is worth doing this is for you to decide but from a quick look at your TP Link router on Amazon it has one port that can be used as "WAN/LAN".

If you obtained some form of VDSL modem (such as the Openreach one) you could set it up to connect to fibre.

Have a look at this thread....

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Using-TP-LINK-W-8980-router-for-fiber/td-p/1271525

I am the satisfied customer....
Spikeyman
Dabbler

Hi thanks for taking the time to answer this, I have a normal Plusnet router so I think I will attempt the first option, I am not sure I would understand what all the steps are with upgrading the TP router to the next level.

I will research the steps though and take a look, I am not thick but I do not want to brick anything.

Cheers

markhawkin
Pro

@Spikeyman

I wouldn't rush down the firmware re-flashing route but using your TP Link and buying something like a "BT OpenReach VDSL modem" from a well known auction site would be a good 2 box solution.

I did something similar (but not with a TP Link device) when I first had "fibre".

From my experience this works well.

I am the satisfied customer....
Spikeyman
Dabbler

Hi again, I just found a BT Hub not sure if its the same as you suggest, it was left by the previous property owners who had BT Fibre before they moved.  Would this work do you know?  Nothing else on the hub only the passwords etc I blocked out.

Any more info on setting that up would be good, would it be better than the Plusnet Hub I am using?

Thanks again

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Your BT Smart Hub (6) should work if you are on ADSL or FTTC . 

for setting up see message 41 on below link

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

You can only try and see if its better for yourself than the plusnet Home Hub 1

For info the BT Smart hub reboots about every 2 weeks, this is normal.

Spikeyman
Dabbler

Just an update with this, thanks to LifeonMars very detailed instructions I have set the BT Hub up and it seems to be working fine at the moment, long may it continue.  I will see if it is any better than the PlusNet router which provides very poor wireless coverage around our property.

Thanks again for your help with this, much appreciated.

Spikeyman
Dabbler

Back again now the router has been running for 2 weeks, speed seems OK but Wi-Fi is not very good does not reach other side of the kitchen from the lounge position and thats not very far.

SO I tried to connect the N600 WD-8980 which I upgraded the firmware on yesterday and set it up as Wi-Fi only.  I could not get internet access through it, connected via ethernet to the #1 yellow port on the BT Hub and the wan port on the N600.  Anyone got any ideas to assist me to get this working?

The second problem, once the N600 is set to Wi-Fi only, no longer can I log in to the router on 192.168.1.1 I have to rest it again which is rather a pin having to change all the settings and security before setting it back to Wi-Fi only, anyone got any idea on that?

Hopefully, someone will be as helpful as before to assist me in getting the N600 working, thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

and the wan port on the N600.  Anyone got any ideas to assist me to get this working?

You should connect to one of the LAN ports on the 8980. You should also disable the DHCP server on the 8980.

Normally you would also give the slave router(the 8980) an IP address which is in the subnet of the primary router, but outside of it's DHCP range. I think in this case you will be ok as the default 192.168.1.1 IS in the Hub one default subnet and is(i think!) outside it's default DHCP range.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Spikeyman
Dabbler

Re: TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600ķ

Hi I had it plugged into LAN 4 on the N600 and LAN 1 on the BT Hub I still cannot log in though when its set to Wi-Fi only on the N600 if I do a reset I can log in no problem albeit with the default password etc

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Spikeyman
Dabbler

@Spikeyman wrote:

@MisterW wrote:

and the wan port on the N600.  Anyone got any ideas to assist me to get this working?

You should connect to one of the LAN ports on the 8980. You should also disable the DHCP server on the 8980.

Normally you would also give the slave router(the 8980) an IP address which is in the subnet of the primary router, but outside of it's DHCP range. I think in this case you will be ok as the default 192.168.1.1 IS in the Hub one default subnet and is(i think!) outside it's default DHCP range.

Hi I had it plugged into LAN 4 on the N600 and LAN 1 on the BT Hub I still cannot log in though when its set to Wi-Fi only on the N600 if I do a reset I can log in no problem albeit with the default password etc

Well disabled the DHCP as you suggested on N600 set it to Wi_Fi router but now cannot obtain IP address, yesterday got IP but no internet, any other clues?

Spikeyman
Dabbler

The N600 has DCHP >Enable >Disable or >Relay if I select relay it asks for the server IP to go to I am not sure what that actually does if anything but I cannot  get the N600 to allow the internet through and devices will only connect if DCHP is enabled,  Stumped Huh

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Relay is only if you want the N600 to relay DHCP through the WAN interface, you definitely want DHCP disabled.

Try plugging into LAN port 2 or 3 on the N600. In wifi router mode, one of the LAN ports is an EWAN port but I'm not sure which. I think you might just have been unlucky in that it might be LAN4.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.