Grafter

TORPC: Site Errors

Not sure what has caused this

adie:green changed topic title
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Site Errors (Slow pages, slow posting, connection reset, uploads failing)

I'd guess either:
Malware on your computer trying to insert advertising into webpages or otherwise interfering with web content.
Memory corruption due to software bugs or bad RAM.
Nothing to do with the performance of these forums. It looks like it's just you, nobody else has reported anything like that, so it's probably something specific to your computer.
picbits
Rising Star

Could also be a one off corrupted data stream for the web page.
If it happens regularly then I suspect something dodgy on your PC intercepting your data stream. I've seen similar happen before with an old version of AVG which messed up loads of web pages until identified as the culprit.
TORPC
Grafter

@ejs
If it were Malware / Memory corruption or bad RAM, I would know as I would be seeing it more or constantly
Plus I use Adblock in all browsers it supports
& as it has only happened the once, & only on these forums, seems that DomS, suggestion could very well be the closest Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Would you really notice bad RAM more often or constantly? Have you tested your RAM with something like memtest86+? Bad RAM could be that 4 bits out of 1 byte in the entire memory module might change occasionally. I've got a computer that used to have a RAM stick like that, it was noticeable at a level of about one program crash per year or so, when an in memory cached copy of a file got corrupted - but the vast majority of the time, what was stored at that memory address might not be executable code, or might not even be accessed before getting overwritten with something else.
Edit for clarity: the machine in question was running 24x7 much of its early life, the memory corruption only noticeable about once per year, with the machine in use all day every day.
TORPC
Grafter

When a machine is used for the same tasks (day in / day out), then it would be noticeable on more than one occasion @ least
picbits
Rising Star

I've had a brand new server with a stick of ram which corrupted random things that were copied over onto it. I only noticed the issue when I copied over an XP ISO to install into a virtual machine on the server and it failed to install each time.
Running a file compare showed that the copied version was different to the original. It took me days to work out what the problem was though.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Re: Site Errors (Slow pages, slow posting, connection reset, uploads failing)

mod:note
Split as it's not related the other issues..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TORPC
Grafter

Re: TORPC: Site Errors

As this has only happened the once, can not be replicated
If & only if PN test the logs etc for the timeframe it happened, then we may have a better indication
As for the suggestions of memory / malware etc
I would know if it were an issue on my end, as I would notice any change in performance / other websites affected / other anomalies etc (for example)
A since it has only happened on PN's forums & no other website (clearly says it all)
I wish people would not be too quick to judge, when they do not have all the facts or have not got access to the device(s) to test
However to air on the side of caution (& to rule out everything this end)
I have indeed & are ran daily ran AV scans with Malwarebytes / S&D / Avast / TDDSkiller etc & several others (Ruled out any issues there)
As for the memory suggestion (Memtest86+ gave it the all clear)

Therefore conclusion
DomS's suggestion seems the most likely
Quote from: DomS
Could also be a one off corrupted data stream for the web page.