cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THAlwaysOnVPN blocked by Plusnet Hub One

dohcmad16

THAlwaysOnVPN blocked by Plusnet Hub One

This is the VPN installed on my work laptop.  I cannot access the work intranet/site when i try to go wirelessly, but if i go via my mobile as a hotspot then i can connect.  Plusnet technical assistance cannot help and work have checked the VPN and report no problems.  I have seen threads on the Plusnet forum that suggest they are aware of the problem but again when i approach tech services they draw a blank and have no idea how to solve my problem.

6 REPLIES 6
Jobopercy

Re: THAlwaysOnVPN blocked by Plusnet Hub One

I have exactly the same problem.  My VPN will connect but not allow my remote desktop to connect to my work files.  Very annoying and I will be leaving Plusnet if it can't be fixed quickly.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Jobopercy @dohcmad16  does either or both your offices use the private subnet 192.168.1.x for the internal network ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jobopercy

Yes.

Tags (1)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Jobopercy in that case you will need to change the subnet on the Hub One to something different. I would suggest 192.168.5.x. It's not a good idea for offices to use the standard subnets that consumer routers use i.e 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x when they expect VPN's to be used.

The problem is if the subnets are the same then your home router believes that the address it's trying to access is on ITS local network and therefore doesn't route traffic down the VPN tunnel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dohcmad16

You are correct about that IP address for my lap top. I have no idea how to change the subnet that you speak of, is that something easy to do or is it best left to the Plusnet techies. Why haven’t tech support even mildly hinted at this, Al they have done is a session kill and checked the line, reporting all as being ok! If I can’t get it sorted I might be heading back to BT!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@dohcmad16  its not the address of your laptop I  referring to , its whether the subnet of your office network is the same as your home network. If you've moved from BT then their router is very similar to the Plus net one and uses the same subnet. Your problem is therefore likely to be something different. 

Have you still got a BT  router , in which case you could try using that by changing the username/ password to your plusnet details