cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 v7 How many simultaneous connections?

LuthersBoots
Grafter

TG585 v7 How many simultaneous connections?

Hi guys.
I have a Plusnet unlimited connection and a TG585 v7 router.
I have a home network that uses wifi (iphone, wii, netbook e.t.c)
And in a nearby office a Netgear router connected by Ethernet cable. Which I connect to vi wifi when I am in the office.
When my netgear router is connected and using the internet, the internet in my home location doesnt work???
Is there a setting I can change on the router or do i just have to live with turning off my netgear router each time I leave the office???
Thanks again
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: TG585 v7 How many simultaneous connections?

are you trying to use two routers on the same phone line?
or have you got the netgear connected to the thomson by ethernet
James
Grafter

Re:TG585 v7 How many simultaneous connections?

Hi,
Do both routers use the same username?
Or as Asbo says, are they both connected on the same phone line?
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Hi there, The Netgear is connected to the Thomson via an ethernet cable.
So it esentially extends the network range.
I dont think it has the same username??? I just put the key in when I logged into the wireless router.
Thanks guys.
D.
MrC
Grafter

Just a thought. Have you got DHCP enabled on both routers? If so you may have to disable one of them when both routers are active. It's possible that one router is giving out false routing info (ie route via /me/ when it's not directly connected) or even giving out addresses in a different range, network mask etc.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the Netgear router plugged in to the telephone? If I understand what you are trying to do you want the Netgear to act as a wireless access point and you access the internet wirelessly through that and the TG585. If so it shouldn't be plugged in to the phone and as McC said you need DHCP turned off in the Netgear.
Edit: If the TG585 also has wireless enabled it's probably better if you make sure the two routers are on different (well separated) channel numbers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Hi guys the Netgear is not plugged in to the Telephone. It's in an office 50 metres away.
I wanted to connect to this office using my home connection, so I connect to this via an ethernet cable coming from port 1 of the back of the thomson.
It works faultlessly in the office, but I have noticed that my home internet does not work when my office router is powered on.
Given this information should I try the DHCP option?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What you are trying to do is fine if you can get it configured correctly.
One thing we haven't asked is what the LAN IP addresses are of the two routers - they must be different and you must make sure that the DHCP server in the Thompson is not giving a PC the same IP address as the Netgear (this might be why the home network stops when you turn on the Netgear).
You MUST turn off the DHCP server in the Netgear.
If the Thompson is 192.168.0.1 you should give the Netgear an IP address of say 192.168.0.254. You then need to configure the DHCP server in the Thompson so that it gives out IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.253. This makes sure that every device on the network has a unique IP address. If your Thompson is not 192.168.0.1 I'm sure you can figure out suitable settings for the example I've given.
I'm afraid I can't point you in the right direction for configuring the Thompson as I have a Netgear! The Netgear settings you need are in the LAN IP Setup page.
After you've made the changes you will need to reboot all your PC's so that they get new IP address leases.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LuthersBoots
Grafter

Thanks very much. I managed to turn off the DHCP setting in the Netgear and now it allows simultaneous connections.
Cheers for your help.
D