cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 asks me to login as 'more privileged user'

donne
Grafter

TG585 asks me to login as 'more privileged user'

Here I am on the internet, happily surfing and I get a screen up from my Thompson router suggesting that I need to 'log in as a more privileged user' in order to access the internet.  Putting in administrator username and password seems to satisfy it, but I wonder what's happening? - only seems to have occurred in the last couple of days.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: TG585 asks me to login as 'more privileged user'

I think you have not received a reply because nobody understand the problem you are encountering.  Routers do not require any software to be running on your computer  and it is software running on your computer that might require the administrator username and password in order to make changes.  So I doubt that the message you are seeing has anything to do with your Thomson router.  What makes you think it does?. 
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

This is a total guess, and I'm at work at the moment so I don't have access to a TG585 to try it out.  Is there any parental controls or website filtering options on the router that you have enabled?  I suppose it is possible you are going to a "blocked" website, so the router is asking for the username and password to let you on to it.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

donne
Grafter

Thanks  for the replies.  I think it is something to do with the Thomson router because I get the Plusnet Thomson Router setup screen appearing and displaying the message asking me to log in as 'more privileged user'.  It's nothing to do with the Windows hierarchy of administrators and users.  As far as I can recall, I first noticed this when I was trying to get train times off one of the train timetable sites - as far as I know there is no controls set on my computer which would prevent it from interacting with such a site. 
Once the message appears, I have to log on to the router using the router username and password which I have set for the router before I can reconnect to the internet.  If it's significant, it appears when I am using Opera as browser (which I prefer to Windows Explorer) but once it appears, I still can't connect to the internet, even after switching to Explorer, without putting in the login information it asks for..
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You've set-up your router so you don't need the set-up software any more.  What happens if you uninstall it?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

There is a message here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/3652894-internet-authentication-failed-on-thomson-tg585v7.h... from someone with the same router and the same problem; that's not you too is it?
donne
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
There is a message here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/3652894-internet-authentication-failed-on-thomson-tg585v7.h... from someone with the same router and the same problem; that's not you too is it?

No - that wasn't me.  I've had the router (supplied by Plusnet) for some time and I know the required username and password.  (I recall there was a Plusnet security alert some time ago in relation to the router which advised change of password which I duly did.)  I'm just curious as to why this screen appears - it's intermittent, but it has occurred twice since my original posting.