cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG585 V7 Frequent Freak-Outs

pale95
Dabbler

TG585 V7 Frequent Freak-Outs

Recently switched from BBYW1 to Value and acquired Thompson TG585 Wireless Router.
It seemed to work a dream rightaway. I have Desktop wired into it and aged Lappy with PC card on wireless.
Every 20 mins or so, the routers lights go bonkers like a disco and all randomly flash, apart from the power light.
At this stage I get a Thompson message on Firefox stating the ADSL signal is absent.
I think it must reset itself as, after a couple of minutes all lights are stable again I can continue surfing.
Is this a common problem?
-Should I do some diag or properly configure the modem?
I have changed the Network Name from what he Router had as default, could this be the issue?
Thanks,
Pale
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: TG585 V7 Frequent Freak-Outs

you sure you line isnt droping and the disco lights are flashing due to that?
pale95
Dabbler

I rather hope the line isn't dropping.
When I was on BBYW1 using a BT voyager wired router, the connection was absolutely rock-solid. In fact I don't remember being thrown-off ever.
I've been  mainly using the laptop (a PIII IPC 1Ghz with just 256Mb RAM) with the 'g' wireless PC card due to the novelty of portability. The wireless signal is 100%. However, I noticed that speedtest results show the lappy on just 2 Mbps when the wired desktop is on 5Mbps which is what I'm used to reliably achieving.
I think I'll monitor line stability on the desktop. If that's solid like it used to be, I'll know it's something to do with the wireless connection or laptop. I'll be buying a netbook presently, so I can compare with that too.

Thanks,
Pale
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Can you try without using the wireless  i.e. turn it off in the router - and see if it remains connected for longer.
There have been reports of the router resetting itself under certain conditions but the cause has never really been discovered, and more recent firmware updates have not resolved the problem and actually introduce other issues which is why it has not been released yet.
pale95
Dabbler

I got 'round to restoring the BT Voyager wired router and left it connected online last night.
I just got in from work tonight and it's still connected and with the same IP address. Cue 2 celebratory  verses of Jungle Book's 'I Wan'na Be Like You'!
I mention the IP address as I only now realise that I've lost the option of static IP in switching away from BBYW1. When the wireless router was flitting about, it caused Rapidshare to accuse me of abusing my account by accessing it from 16 different computers on the same day.
Although the CONNECTION does now appear to be stable, the SPEED is all over the shop; in the last 10 mins it's gone from 500Kbps to 2Mbps. Granted, it's 8.30 pm which is probably a peak time (I expect it will go back up to 5Mbps later on) but I wonder if these fluctuations are fazing the Thomson router.
Should I return the Thomson for a replacement or is there another model PN would offer me to try?
I do have access to another wireless router which I could try first. I think that's a Thomson too (supplied by AOL).
And, er.. how do I 'turn off' the wireless feature of the TG585? -The Setting Up guide is very basic.
Thanks for your help.
Pale