cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n

Bustermagic1
Grafter

TG582n

I'm currently having issues with my broadband and One Hub and was looking to test my connect using my old ADSL TG582n router.  I have noticed that there are some firmwares for the TG582n labelled FTTC - can someone tell me if this would elimate the Openreach modem, enabling me to connect the TG582n directly to the BT socket?

I have searched to see if this has been asked before but hasn't found anything - appologies if it has been.

Thanks,

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: TG582n

The FTTC firmware configures one of the Ethernet ports to be a WAN port that connects to the Openreach modem. The TG582n does not have a VDSL2 modem so cannot be used on FTTC without the additional Openreach unit.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I very much dobut it - the hardware is an ADSL router, not VDSL (which is what you'd need to avoid the modem).
You could try it connected to the modem and see if you notice any improvement.

If so, I'd pick up a cheapo VDSL replacement from the internet. I know people on here use also use the BT home hubs and are happy with them.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As the others have advised the TG 582n can be upgraded to be a vdsl fibre router via the firmware upgrade. It's not a good solution as in my experience the 582n can become very flaky ( I've recently retired two of these ) so I'd agree that getting a good vdsl router to use with  the bt modem is a good idea,  or ask for Plus Net Hub One replacement. The hub one is ok in my experience but if you're wanting an even more reliable  fibre router the BT home hub 6b is a meant to be good but I've no personal experience of it just yet  

good luck ! 

Bustermagic1
Grafter

Thanks all for the replies.  I was just trying to prove further that my current router wasn't the problem of my internet disconnection.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi - Are you using the Plus Net Hub one AND the BT Openreach modem?  Because  you can just ditch the BT open reach modem . The Plus Net Hub One is an autosensing ADSL / VDSL combined Modem router.