Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n power on duration is incorrect

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

TG582n power on duration is incorrect

Whilst poking around the settings pages for the TG582n (firmware 10.2.2.B) I noticed that the power on time reported is substantially less than the xDSL session.  Clearly there is a flaw in the firmware ... another amongst a few?
From telenet
{Kevin}=>system settime
date = 09/08/2015
time = 16:29:55
timezone = +00:00
daylightsaving = enabled
uptime = 42 days, 4:28:34
time zone name = (UTC)
UTC date = 09/08/2015
UTC time = 15:29:55
{Kevin}=>xdsl info
Modem state:                            up
Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):                390 days, 3:46:08
xDSL Type:                              ADSL2
Bandwidth (Down/Up - kbit/s):            5174/888

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: TG582n power on duration is incorrect

This is NOT the Power On duration - it is as it says the UPTIME of the xDSL connection.
You don't need to be poking around the settings page to see this, your will find it on the default Landing page without logging in (though this may be dependant on firmware version - whether you have the USB port).
Yes it's a bug, saw this a long time back, had exactly the same figure IIRC, did mention it some where. It appears to have no consequences.
As the post is well past editing ability, perhaps a mod could amend the title and change 'power on' for 'Uptime' as current title is hence misleading.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Please check your facts before posting unhelpful comments.
The TG582n router reports 3 time durations - xDSL session duration - PPP session duration - TIme since last power on.
See http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/bb/?be=0&l0=2&l1=-1 and http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/cfg/ov/?be=0&l0=1&l1=1 and the attached screen grabs.
I know that you do not like to think so, but I do know what I'm talking about here; I certainly know that MY router has gone more that 46 days since the last power cycle event.  In fact it is over a year since it did anything other than just work as intended!  Grin
This observation is actually correct and you are wrong!  Angry
May be YOU would like to go and edit your post now, possibly even say sorry?  Wink
Quote from: Anotherone
You don't need to be poking around the settings page to see this
It appears to have no consequences.
current title is hence misleading.

Yes all of the time durations are available through the GUI, locating them within the telnet settings might help anyone interested see more easily where the info comes from.
It might indeed have no consequences, however if there is a chance of a revised firmware sometime in the future, this observation might get put into the fix list, possibly uncovering other odd ball issues.  Regardless, the observation is correct and did not need the comments you made - do you have any experience of the software development life cycle?
As stated, noting misleading here at all!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh I do beg your pardon. I have no intention of editing my post or changing anything or apologising, because you are wrong. Before accusing me of making unhelpful comments perhaps you should do two things. Look at the figures and what you posted, and post relevant screen grabs in the first place. Your remarks in your OP were about xDSL session time!!!
Nowhere in your OP did you report or quote a power on time, which you have now chosen to do.
The time in your last screen grab - Capture2.jpg - clearly says     Time since Power-on: 46 days, 21:40:31
The time referred in your OP was    uptime = 42 days, 4:28:34
My remarks were about the UPTIME figure you quoted that YOUR 582n was reporting compared to the UPTIME figure mine had reported in the past. I did not dispute that your real uptime was not more than the 42/46+ days.
Quote from: Townman
I know that you do not like to think so, but I do know what I'm talking about here; I certainly know that MY router has gone more that 46 days since the last power cycle event.  In fact it is over a year since it did anything other than just work as intended!  Grin
This observation is actually correct and you are wrong!  Angry

How dare you even suggest that I stated or implied you router had not actually been on line for considerably longer, as if I didn't know from our previous chats & discussions. And as I've been using the 582n longer than you have, don't even suggest I don't know anything about it - I may not know everything there is to know, but there's a fair bit that I do know. Perhaps you've forgotten it was me that suggested you should use the 582n when you had all your issues at TunnelTop and was getting stupid stats from the assorted modems(/routers) that you had.
And to address the point about me not knowing everything (clearly you don't either), as I rarely poke around on the System Configuration page since configuring my 582n the way I wanted, and it would all have been done a very long time ago, and in any event when the Power-on times will have been somewhat less than 42/46 days, I hadn't seen that specific Power-on time bug, which I guess may be a 2nd but similar bug since the uptime in your OP is different from the screen grab Power-on time. As I don't have my 582n on-line at present, I can't confirm one way or the other, and it will be at least 47 days from some indefinite point in the future (I have other modem/routers to test first) before I may be able to do so. There is obviously a bit more to the (one) bug than either of us first thought so a change in tile is perhaps irrelevant, especially in light of the subsequent posts, but otherwise I stand by every word of my reply #1.
Quote from: Townman
It might indeed have no consequences, however if there is a chance of a revised firmware sometime in the future, this observation might get put into the fix list, possibly uncovering other odd ball issues.  Regardless, the observation is correct and did not need the comments you made - do you have any experience of the software development life cycle?

I don't think that there's a cat in hell's chance of any further firmware upgrade to the 582n as Plusnet are no longer supplying it (we can't even get sensible firmware upgrades for the 2704n at present), especially for such minor bugs as this, which we could have discussed in a more friendly manner if you'd bothered to read what you'd actually posted and my response more carefully.
As for your last comment, as someone who's had formal software training (have you?), and experience of formal software writing, and got certificates to prove it, I can only interpret your remark as a personal attack.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh magnificenet wizard of Oz I do so humbly apologise for challenging your wisdom!
So much huffing and puffing, still does not make you right.  Read the OP again, it clearly states that the powered on time reported is less than the xdsl session time.  This a clearly a firmware fault.  Wether this might or migh not be fixed is not your call, what is sure is that non-disclosure is a sure way to ensure it is not considered.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topic locked.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine