Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n - > Access Point

my53rdchoice
Grafter

TG582n - > Access Point

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get an old TG582n  to work as an access point?

I've done it with with my old TG587n from Be There and don't recall it being very complex but the TG582n is proving to a dog.

I've got it working by disabling the DHCP server but it seems to be knocking out the main router's internet (Asus RT-N66u)

Unfortunately I can't get into the TG582n to see those settings as I can't ID the password (it's been changed from the default) and I haven't gone into it for many many years. 

Any other options for a very cheap access point?  Can I get PN to give me an updated router seeing as though I've had this TG582n for 8 years!

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: TG582n - > Access Point

but it seems to be knocking out the main router's internet

Its probably got the same IP address as the main router, you will need to change it to something different, but that is in the same subnet and out of the main routers DHCP range

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

my53rdchoice
Grafter

hi,

I don't think that's the reason, the main router is on 1, the access points are on 5 (has worked for 6+ years) and 254 (new one)

the DHCP Pools on the main router is set to 10 to 250

On the new access point the DHCP is also set to 10-250 with DHCPv4 Server and Stateless DHCPv6 Server both disabled and the server and gateway set to 192.168.1.254

Any help is always appreciated

my53rdchoice
Grafter

It's weird, when I connect it the the network my Asus router loses it's internet but I can still connect to it.

I can also connect to the two access points over the network

But I have no internet across the network.

However, if I connect to the new access point direct (via Cable or it's wifi) it has internet.  It's like it redirecting the modem to it rather than my Asus.

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Oh, just to add, in case this makes a difference.

The TG582n is connected to a small 5 way switch which is connected to the Asus RT-N66u.

I need the TG582n to act as both a switch and a wireless access point as it's at the end of the garden where I am converting a shed into a workspace. (need hard cable internet for computer and wifi for phone)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

On the new access point the DHCP is also set to 10-250 with DHCPv4 Server and Stateless DHCPv6 Server both disabled and the server and gateway set to 192.168.1.254

As long as the DHCP server is disabled, then the pool and gateway are irrelevant as its not handing out IP addresses

my Asus router loses it's internet

What exactly do yoiu mean by that ? does it lose the PPP connection

It's like it redirecting the modem to it rather than my Asus.

Ah! you've got a separate modem, is the TG582 an FTTC version and are You connecting via LAN port 4 by any chance ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Yes the TG582N is a FTTC router and I have a BT openreach modem sitting at the very end of the chain

The connection between the Asus and the BT openreach dies, it says the PPPoE "trying to connect"

Yes the network was into the red marked port 4

I've switched it to port 1 which seems to have stopped the main Asus router complaining but there is still no connection to the modem (no internet) on the main network, just via the access point

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes the network was into the red marked port 4

Well that will definitely have caused problems. Port 4 is a WAN port on the FTTC version, dont use it!

but there is still no connection to the modem (no internet) on the main network, just via the access point

That doesnt make sense, the access point is connected to the internet via the main router, therefore there must be internet access from the main router. Check that all of the devices connected directly to the main router have been assigned the correct default gateway ...

my53rdchoice
Grafter

Check that all of the devices connected directly to the main router have been assigned the correct default gateway

How? 

With the exception of the two access points everything is automatically done and with the exception of the new access point everything is working fine

Anyway, with I can't even get back into the TG582n now via  a laptop and direct cable.  I'd forgotten how awful it was, unstable and slow to do anything.  That's why I binned it off within a month.  The cheapass routers have to be the worse thing about Plusnet by a long way

my53rdchoice
Grafter

OK, now fixed

Bought a virtually brand new BT home hub 4 off eBay for £3.99

Plugged it in, took 5 minutes to set up as an access point

The TG582n has been thrown in the bin where is should have gone 10 years ago.