cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N - DNS Client, what is it?

anon9208123

TG582N - DNS Client, what is it?

What is the "DNS client" on the Technicolor TG582N router?, setting the state to disabled produces no difference. Everything works as is. If this is the case then what is it and why is it needed?. I've tried looking around on the internet but i cant find any answers.
In the TG582N telnet manual, it says this is the "DNS resolver configuration" yet it is called a "DNS Client".
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: TG582N - DNS Client, what is it?

I think it's what the router itself uses to lookup hostnames. For example, when the router synchronises its clock, it needs to lookup the IP addresses for ntp.plus.net. I'm not sure exactly what happens if you disable it.
anon9208123

Also what good is "127.0.0.1" as the DNS for the DNS client?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

That's the loopback address for the router itself, so it will use the DNS server running on the router, the same as what computers connected to the router will use (by default).
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: anon9208123
What is the "DNS client" on the Technicolor TG582N router?, setting the state to disabled produces no difference. Everything works as is.

So it seems... until you visit a site you've never visited before and get the page cannot be found message.
Thats why windows keeps a DNS cache - a backup of the previous dns lookups it has performed. It will then use this cache for future visits to those sites until the entires in the cache have expired. THAT is why you're not seeing any difference.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The router itself won't need to look up a hostname very often, ntp.plus.net (network time synchronisation) and acs.plus.net (auto setup) are the only ones I can quickly think of. The router's DNS client does not affect devices attached to the router, only the router itself.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: ejs
The router's DNS client does not affect devices attached to the router

So if the PCs on the network have their DNS server set to the router, you're saying that the router won't lookup anything and supply a data packet back to the PC?  Huh
Oh heck.. my understanding of DNS is completely shot! I better stop working on my dns server with internal resolver....
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

No, they are two separate subcommands in the Technicolor firmware:
dns client
dns server
The "dns client" is configured to use 127.0.0.1 as its DNS server, so that means dns lookups originating from the router itself get sent to the same dns server, the router itself, that is used by devices on the LAN.