Did you mean: 

T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

@Mook wrote:

So @shutter have you soldered the replacement IR LED into the original handset, to confirm or add weight to your hypothesis.

having soldered the "original"... and proved it was working.....

Quote from my post.....

As it did not work on the original PCB.. I`m now thinking maybe it was the chip on that pcb that had gone faulty... 

Unquote.......

There seemed little point in doing more soldering................. Roll_eyesRoll_eyes

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@shutter in an earlier reply you stated that the original remoted WORKED if you touched the bare PCB contacts.

So why are you now ignoring this and the conductive silicone pads being defective? - Seems odd that you'd then decide the IR diode was at fault when you've already stated that it works without the buttons overlaying the pcb.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

@7up  What I was referring to there, was that when I touched the pcb circuit ( pad contact areas) the red led flashed showing  that a signal was being sent... however... it did not work the tv.... the only way to change the tv channel was to use a three position switch similar to the stalk on the steering column of cars that you can access the display or wiper control.

When doing the "Light" test on a camera... as mentioned later... it did not show up the IR led working... but when I put that (supposedly duff ) IR Led on the "new" board, it did light up on the camera screen, proving that the IR led was not defective as first thought.

Sorrry if I confused you about that "worked" !  bit...

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

It might be sending a signal and it might be receiving one, but if that chip is sending out garbage then the television is not going to 'understand' the signal. It's been many years since I tried to trouble my brain with such things on courses companies used to send us on, but the data stream being sent out and how it was constructed and interpreted was quite complicated - well it was f'me anyway.

Nothing wrong with having a go at fixing things we throw far to much away these days. Don't work then dump it is just so easy and cheap to do. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE>.....

The replacement arrived today... not an exact replica, but one recommended by another ebay seller...

Put the batteries in it... worked a treat.... 

Problem solved.. !

Suitable high praise feedback left for him......

Suitable extremely low grade feedback will be given to the original seller..

(who , it appears, also uses a "similar" trading name...  to the best seller ! )

Still begs the question... if there are so many different "codes" used by different manufacturers... how come the "universal" offerings work ?  

All a bit of a mystery to me... but won`t be bothering about, ........ Until the next time Cheesy

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Fix

@shutter said "Still begs the question... if there are so many different "codes" used by different manufacturers... how come the "universal" offerings work ?".

The universal remotes have the ability to change the internal code that each button on them generates. They are preprogrammed  so that they can be set to mimic many manufacturers' button codes. This is simply done by following the instructions that accompany them - it usually involves pressing a few buttons in a particular sequence to access programming mode and then inputting the required code (by pressing a few more buttons) that correspond to a particular TV manufacturer ( a list of codes is provided) and then exiting programming mode by pressing more buttons. Some TV manufacturers have more than one code as they have changed things over different generations of TV. In such cases you simply need to try their different codes in sequence until you find the one that works. 

Anyway, glad you got things sorted.

shutter
Community Veteran

@jgb  ah!.. ok..  Thanks for the explanation... that makes a lot of sense... having never had one. It was a  "w onder of the world" thing for me !.. 

You get the fix for that..!  Thanks. Wink