Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

@Anonymous   OK>>> Sorry, I missed your original post,... just checked out that ebay linky, and I think that will do nicely.... or should I use PlusNet gimmicky..... "That`ll do"   

Was also thinking of replacing the IR LED as the cost of that is less than a couple of quid...but.. maybe its the controller chip that is faulty... so.. as that is a "NEW" item,.. should not have any problems...

Cheers

WIll order now,... and let you know ... should arrive by Friday.. ! ( from Ireland) .

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep well the new remote will fix it and you may as well be a bit brave see if for a further couple of quid you can get the other working. I have used solidering iron before, not oftern. Never very good at it, and ended up burning my hands more often that the thing I was trying to soilder. 🙄

I suppose best case it fixes it, and worst you've lost a couple of quid and still have the new working one.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

A brave if optimistic man I must say @shutter and well done for having a go.

Me, I'd have dumped it and bought another one. As for how they all work, post 'click and click' audio remotes I think they all used the same sort of 'jungle' chip configured to suit. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You have a recent mobile? Go to your app store and look for a remote tester or IR tester.
It just uses the camera to test that the remote is actually sending a signal. Useful to test if it is the remote or the TV.
shutter
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbiker  Yup !... been there done that... no lightee showee on camera phonee... so have got a new one coming on thursday...

@Minivanman  I have made all sorts of electronic stuff over the years... from crystal sets to three valve mains powered radios ( mostly from scrap parts ! ) and converting old tv`s to receive  forren tv stations from France !....  so soldering a IR LED will present no difficulty! ! ! ..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@shutter wrote:

With the batteries in place, but no buttons,  it is possible to get the red led to flash, just by touching the locations on the pcb where the buttons  would be.

This is the bit that seems to have been missed in the replies so far (well i didn't see any reference to it skim reading).

The conductive pads on the bottom of the rubber / silicone buttons is knackered.

Look underneath the buttons, you'll see black round dots. When you press the buttons they are pressed down onto the pcb to make contact.

My advice would be to try gently cleaning them with a cotton bud, maybe some contact cleaner spray too (Halfords). If all else fails and you're any good at modelling, glue some small pieces of aluminium foil onto those black dots - but it'll be a precision job.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran

I see what @7up means

When you get activity from the board, does it work your TV in any way at all? With no keyboard on then if it does then it may rule out being the PCB.

I believe your model of TV supports Bluetooth (yes ok I cheated and seached your model). If your mobile supports it then it may be worth setting up as it is better than nothing.

shutter
Community Veteran

@7up wrote:

The conductive pads on the bottom of the rubber / silicone buttons is knackered.

I have done that before, with other remotes, and it solved the problems of channel number changes.. so I did it with this one ... suspecting the same problem ( sweat/oil/ from fingers on the pads) but to no avail.

Thanks for the input, though .Wink

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

But you say the remote works when you touch the PCB contacts with the buttons removed - so it IS to do with the buttons. You need to investigate further.

I've had a similar fault with the RF fob for the motor. Damn thing would work a short while and then drop dead. Took it apart, the contact for the negative side of the coin cell is simple a round track on the PCB. It's not looking health so i've slipped in a bit of aluminium foil over it, slipped the battery back in over the top and now it seems to work again.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I remember many years ago (although I can't remember what the device was) the conductive underside of the buttons were failing to, errr ... conduct reliably.  The solution was to scribble on them with a graphite pencil.

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN 

2B or not 2Bs? 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman 

Good question!  Cheesy

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Most remotes - and certainly all the ones I have - if held near a tranny tuned to a quiet spot on medium wave, will produce a "chirp" when a button is pressed.

Doesn't prove the IR bit's working, but handy to test the buttons.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. here is the update....!

The advertised delivery date was Thursday... never arrived... waited until Friday.. sent a message to seller... told me to wait two working days  ( whatever that means..... Don`t people work on Saturday and Sunday now ? )   anyway... never arrived on Saturday... messaged the seller... said it was probably held up in Royal Mail, due to COVID   ..... HuH ?  what?  an excuse ... other items ordered two days after the remote arrived ok.. no delay !..

Anyway... it arrived this morning... ( thinks... I bet they sent ( another ) on Friday Royal Mail 48 on the packet )

put the newly charged batteries in it... checked it for the white flashing on the camera lens/screen it worked.

but unfortunately, not on the telly....

Looks like will be getting another telly  32 inch from ARGOS or ASDA. 

Thanks for the input guys... 

P.s. when we get the new telly.. I might have alooksee what goes on in the IR receiver part of it ! ! ! !>...

Minivanman
Legend

So if you are buying a new television from Argos, why did you need to buy another remote control shutter?

I think you just like taking things to bits. 😆 

Herman Melville