Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

T.V. Remote has failed... no... it`s not the batteries..  ( first thing I did..) . change them for a new charged pair.

This remote has a red led flash whenever a button is pressed.. and that still works//shines very brightly. when buttons are pressed...but nothing happens on the telly...

After changing the batteries, 2nd time, for another fully charged, just of the charger, pair,... still no response.

2nd option... maybe the little led thing that sends the signal to the telly, has become unsoldered... took the remote apart.. all looked good, and no movement on the led... I did resolder joints to make sure.  but again.. no response.

I also cleaned off the pcb tracks by rubbing the surface with a wad of Kitchen Towel.. came of a bit black... but that was to be exepected.. also cleaned off the internal buttons that contact the sections on the pcb.

With the batteries in place, but no buttons,  it is possible to get the red led to flash, just by touching the locations on the pcb where the buttons  would be.

Having got this far in diagnosis,... I am assuming that the Remote is working, but not either sending, or the TV receiver part for the remote signal has stopped functioning.

Three other t.v. remotes in the house, ( three other makes of telly ! ) .none of them have any effect on their "Non" aligned t.v.  nor on this one.

so... How does a "universal remote" actually work ? if all different t.v.remotes do not work with each other ?

and... should I buy one ? or get a new telly ??  ( remember ... I am a Yokshurman! ! ) ..

51 REPLIES 51
jtr
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: T.V. Remote failure - Any Ideas ?

What make of tv ?

Argos have a range of different remotes.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Couple more questions, @shutter : How old is the TV? Does it have any manual buttons/switches, and if so, do they work?

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jtr  & @jab1   sorry, forgot to mention... its a Toshiba 26DL933b and has a date of 2011 on it... it does not have any side buttons on the actual tv casing ! ...

there is some kind of volume control thing  which does work... in a weird way.

it has a "switch" part that you can move up, middle, down.... which you can change the channel with, or you can change the volume level with.  however, that is "Not very convenient" especially when watching tv in bed ! ! .

similar kind of switch action to the wiper stalk/headlight stalk,  on a car ! ...

jab1
Legend

@shutter wrote:

so... How does a "universal remote" actually work ? if all different t.v.remotes do not work with each other ?

and... should I buy one ? or get a new telly ??  ( remember ... I am a Yokshurman! ! ) ..

Don't know 'how' they work, but they do - I can totally control my Samsung TV with my Humax remote, and did the same with my Panasonic DVD/VCR remote before we went digital.

They can be a bit of a pain to set up - there is some trial and error involved - but once done, it means just the one remote.

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi shutter,
Most remotes use an invisible, to the eye, Infra Red LED to control the TV.
Most electronic camera sensors detect IR.
So the way to check if the IR LED is working is to point remote at an electronic camera, like a smart phone and see if the LED flashes when a button is pressed.
If the IR LED is working then it could be the IR receiver on the TV is not working.

Universal remotes work by storing the control sequences for the majority of TV sets and there is a method of selecting the TV type, usually by entering a 4 digit code.

Regards
Richard
jab1
Legend

@shutter wrote:

@jtr  & @jab1   sorry, forgot to mention... its a Toshiba 26DL933b and has a date of 2011 on it... it does not have any side buttons on the actual tv casing ! ...

there is some kind of volume control thing  which does work... in a weird way.

it has a "switch" part that you can move up, middle, down.... which you can change the channel with, or you can change the volume level with.  however, that is "Not very convenient" especially when watching tv in bed ! ! .

similar kind of switch action to the wiper stalk/headlight stalk,  on a car ! ...

So the TV is not the culprit. I'd try @RichardB 's test on the remote.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  

A Toshiba remote is £5.99 on Ebay inc P&P worth a try

The universal ones are more than that 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Control-for-Toshiba-26DL833B-26DL834B-26DL933B-26DL934B-/143686199...

HD

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

The Big question!

But to date, I've always (lucky maybe) found it to be the remote. How old is the box? I've always noticed things not working quite so well before the remote tips up i.e. you need to press buttons a couple of times before it'll do anything and putting new batteries doesn't cure anything. Have you tried using it close up and personal? 😀

Universals can be a pain sometimes, especially if you have an older model. And then you might find some functions don't work as expected. Last remote I bought a couple of years ago for my (now) 10 year old TV, I got from an online store that just did remotes. They even said if there was any changes between it and the original. The only issue I would have was I would need to select button A or B on initial setup to get it to work with my TV. Spot on too, works just like the original. Have a look here.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran

This is a pic of the remote pcb... 

remote pcb 02.jpg

The big white blob in the centre at the top end is (presumably) the IR led... however, when buttons are pressed there is a small led in the right hand corner of the pcb that lights up flashing, if the button is held down.

Checking other remotes. (which do not have a flashing led) I can see the IR led flash on the phone screen, when it is pressed, but cannot see a "similar" flash from the "faulty" remote... so maybe there is hope ...

I have actually located one that looks very much like the remote we have, on EBAY>. and sent the seller a message, regarding compatibility, as it is listed for TOSHIBA, but he did mention certain serial type may not work, so message him first...

awaiting result..   it`s only a fiver.. so may be worth a punt. ! .

Thanks guys... at least I know how to test the IR led now ! ! !. Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter 

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOSHIBA-26DL933B-Original-Remote-Control/dp/B00BMSGPS0

I've recently bought a replacement for my 2012 Toshiba Recorder and it works fine. If you buy from Amazon then you can always send it baack if it doesn't fix your problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

This is the EBAY listing, that I mentioned...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RC1910-Remote-Control-for-TOSHIBA-22D1333B-TV/162991424847

ebay tv remote.jpg

This is a pic of mine ! ... ( some different buttons on the top line...but the main 12345 and OK and volume and channel buttons in same place...

remote 001.jpg

@Baldrick1  Don`t like AMAZON for some reason  ! ! !... I`ve never had any problems with sending stuff back on EBAY ... especially if it is a "business seller"...and I usually check the details at the bottom of listing...

this seller has 30 days return. and a UK business address.. so think it will be OK.

shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE... just had a reply from the ebay seller... he says it will not work with this t.v. !  

no other info...

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@shutter 

To check if the remote is actually sending a signal (i.e that the remote is the issue and not the receiver in the TV), do the following:

1. Pick a device to use: Digital Camera - turn the camera on. ...
  2. Point the end of the remote control with the IR emitter at the camera or camcorder lens.
  3. Look at the viewfinder or LCD screen.
  4. Press and hold one of the buttons on the remote control.

As for universal remotes, I have used one in the past when my TV remote stopped working and I could not get the proper branded replacement. I also got a very simple one to replace my mother's remote which was too complex for her to manage as she had very poor eyesight - could just about see the TV but not the buttons on the remote. You need to set them up to work with your particular TV brand but that is usually pretty easy to do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter wrote:

UPDATE... just had a reply from the ebay seller... he says it will not work with this t.v. !  

no other info...

The one I found looks like it will and only £5.99  looks OK

HD