Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System recovery disks

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

System recovery disks

While burning the optional one-off recovery disks for my new laptop (Vista) the process failed at "verification" Having "wasted" a box of DVD+R disks the process remains "suspended" awaiting another new disk (it will not allow a change to DVD-R) I have 3 question:
1) why does it fail at verification, is it the player or the burning programme?
2) how long will it remain "suspended" awaiting a new disk?
3) for my desktop PC also Vista I successfully produced the recovery disks, will these work for the laptop as well?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
37 REPLIES 37
petlew
Pro

Re: System recovery disks

Forgot to mention; both the desktop and the laptop are the same (quite by chance and not by design) the same manufacturer; Hewlett Packard, should this be relevant.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

3) No. Recovery disks are specifically for the system they came from as they are a copy of that installation. They cannot be used on another system.
Can't help with the other questions, sorry.
petermaughan
Grafter

Three thoughts:
Are you sure it is asking for a DVD and not a CD-R?
Are you able to quit the process and start again?
Have you tried a different brand of disk?
Peter
petlew
Pro

Thanks guy's
No, I'm rather wary of any attempt to cancel or reset, as the operation "claims" to be a one off, any "complete" failures will presumably result in not being able to complete at all?
No I haven't tried another brand of disk (I didn't have any to spare at the time) the one's I'm using are Verbatim (the white printable type) which are not exactly cheapo's, but are not Sony etc either
And yes, I'm sure I'm using DVD, it asks for 2 DVD's or what seems an infinite number of CD's, the actual number I didn't take note of as I wasn't planning to use them.

petlew
Pro

Quote from: Peter
3) No. Recovery disks are specifically for the system they came from as they are a copy of that installation. They cannot be used on another system.

Hewlett Packard, offer another method of getting recovery disks, by sending off to them for them. But they don't ask for that much information about the PC they're to be used with.
cp:green Quote TAG fixed.  Wink mod:end

chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
I'm using are Verbatim (the white printable type) which are not exactly cheapo's,

I have had issue with the same brand/type of disk when burning video. Try a different brand.
Also does the manufacture have an forums, you mat not be the only one with this issue.
Chilly
petlew
Pro

No I haven't Chillypenguin, but it's probably time I did. Oddly, HP sent out some updates today to download (first I've seen) must have a looksee, perhaps there's an answer in there...but I doubt it. Just can't face the Boxing Day crowds to get some more disks today though.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Personally I wouldn't touch a HP machine again with their OEM version of windows.
Been there, done that, got burned, etc.
My laptop is HP but I've installed a proper version of WinXP on it. Not HP's custom OEM version.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
petlew
Pro

In fact it's the first time I've had anything at all by HP (the laptop was not chosen by me) now they suddenly dominate my computing life, I have though over a period of years, thrown away 2 Toshiba's and 1 Acer laptops. I was rather hoping this one would last a little longer than most. The desktop is a different story, it was purchased on cost and spec grounds (from Staples, who do some surprisingly good deals occasionally, and are open to some gentle haggling as well) prior to this I had built my previous 4 PC's. I just couldn't be bothered this time.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Personally mate I wouldn't recommend a HP to anyone UNLESS you intend to install your own normally purchased version of windows.
In those circumstances their machines seem ok however using their own OEM windows isn't a good option - I talk from experience.
One company I will highly recommend to you however is Packard Bell. Been there, done that and was VERY highly impressed (Yes, even with their OEM windows). That machine was rock solid for about 4 years until the capacitors started leaking due to the damp locations the machine was used in..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
samuria
Grafter

Most versions of HP when you create the rescue disk it delete a hidden partition that is on your hard drvive that has the rescue details and the O/S on it.
Knowing that may help if you know what you are doing as you can boot from other devices and save the data from the drive before it gets lost and then you can make a cd in your own time.
petlew
Pro

Thanks for that samuria, I'm hoping my current "suspended" condition isn't far enough advanced to have deleted anything yet...can't find out till I have some new disks, which I'll get tomorrow...er! today now.

God
Grafter

If you dont't already have the full version how about downloading the trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home and you can make a backup of the hidden partition before going any further?
petlew
Pro

I wasn't planning on making this post a discussion on the merits of HP (I guess the moderators would prefer it not to be either) However! prior to this I'd never brought as much as an HP ink cartridge or glossy photo paper, but, so far (fingers tightly crossed) I've no complaints...except as PJ points out the large amount of largely unwanted pre-installed software. And it's in a much prettier box, some of my homebuilds haven't been in a box at all!!
Following advice, I checked out the HP faq's which is largely confined to such techy questions as; "what do I do if I've lost the instruction manual" etc etc. I did eventually find the recovery disk section (well hidden) this directed me to a 3rd party (having advised me to have my credit card ready) who's website is currently closed.
So I'm going to have a go at the acronis...thanks to those who responded.