Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System, data and image back-up/restore help required

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

System, data and image back-up/restore help required

At the moment, I have two internal hard drives C: and 😧 both 400GB and an external hard drive K: also 400GB.
C: contains all system s/w, application s/w, data and image files, occupying at the moment only 50GB .  However, the image files will increase significantly, but I never expect to reach 400GB.
At present, 😧 is only used for Photoshop cache and K: is unused.
I want to install an auto back-up procedure, perhaps using Norton Ghost (I use Norton 360 Ver 2 and like it) and would like guidance as to the best set up.
For example, back C: onto 😧 with a mirror image on K:, or what?  Partition advice?
If C: fails, how does recovery work?  Presumably 😧 must replace C:  How is this carried out?
Any help and guidance gratefully received.
Regards.....Noel
5 REPLIES 5
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: System, data and image back-up/restore help required

Very sorry, I think this query should be on the Computers & Networking Forum.
Moderator, please can you transfer it?
Many thanks.
Regards.....Noel
pierre_pierre
Grafter

be careful of backup progs, some dont store it in the original format, then if you have trouble or update your operating system, hard luck files gone,  I have an article in a magazine showing how to do it simply, will copy and post shortly
pierre_pierre
Grafter

here is the article
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I use Acronis for my system drive backup but I use SyncToy free from Microsoft for data backups as it is much more flexible and easier to use.
Note that I have set SyncToy to run every evening at 18:30
samuria
Grafter

It all depend on how vital your data is and how many days you want to loose. The best method is to use Acronis backup drive c: as an image to drive d: once a week backup drive c: as an image to drive k: every 2 weeks this gives you a full backup of 1 week and a 2 week old backup at any given moment the reason being if one has a virus or something you can go back another week. If you backed up on say sunday and caught the virus on Saturday you last backup would be no good as it would be corrupt but your week old would be ok.
If drive c: died you would have to put in a new drive and boot from the acronis cd and restore t he image from d:  or k: about 30 mins depending on the pc.
You could copy the drive to d: every week but you couldnt then use it for anything else but in doing this if c: died you just remove c: and d: would then boot up with last weeks config but as you are copying the drive every week you also copy any problems. An image will be about 12 gig so you can copy a fair few onto the drives so you can keep various copies like before you install a service pack.
Having done the full image you can then set Acronis to backup daily your emails and docs depending what you want to keep daily. You should really remove k: after backup and put it in another house so if you have a fire your still safe leaving it next to the pc means it will be stolen if someone broke in