cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Restore

valart
Grafter

System Restore

I just wondered if you get a virus on your computer and you used system restore to a later date would you get rid of the virus.
9 REPLIES 9
Razer
Grafter

Re: System Restore

Not necessarily. System restore points may also be corrupted. You may not even be able to perform a restore because of that.
shalom2010
Grafter

The best way is to restore from a known good backup Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think it's a popular myth that restore points get corrupted.  Yes, that is theoretically possible but difficult to achieve so most virus-writers don't bother.  If you can get System Restore to run to completion then there is a good chance that will remove the active components of a virus infection. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, yes and no RR.  Wink
I don't think I've ever seen a restore point that has been the target of an infection, if that's what you mean.
What I have seen is an infection that was there (possibly, low-level or dormant) before the restore point so doing the restore introduces that earlier version which does eventually "do its stuff".
I have DEFINITELY seen deep scans that identify infected material in the System Restore data store (the normally very well-hidden stuff) though whether they are potentially harmful or not it's difficult to say.
And yes, I have used System Restore with variable effect as one tool in the anti-malware war, though these days more to recover from "collateral damage" than directly eliminate the infection.
Razer
Grafter

It's not a myth. I have seen it too, albeit years ago on a Windows 95 system.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Err, I don't think system restore existed until Windows Me.
NedLudd
Grafter

True ejs! At least, the Windows version didn't exist until then and it was pretty crappy.
I do a Norton backup every 24 hours. If I'm doing 'maintenance' then I backup as I go. Thus I always have at least 2 weeks worth of backup data that can be search file by file.
If anyone has caught a virus then they should be looking at updating their virus and firewall software ASAP!
Geoff,
York.
Razer
Grafter

lol um, what AM I talking about? Sorry, serious brain fart there. Did see it, years ago, NOT on a Windows 95 system, but on XP.
NedLudd
Grafter

Brain Fart = Senior Moment!  Wink
It happens to us all!  Grin
Geoff,
York.