Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Restore on Windows 10

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

System Restore on Windows 10

I'm becoming a bit concerned that the status of System Restore on Windows 10 may have been devalued.  It seemed to be off by default after I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and no Windows update so far has created a restore point prior to the update.  Is this normal?
12 REPLIES 12
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: System Restore on Windows 10

I've just checked mine, and it is turned on.  I've a system restore point from installing Avast a little while after Windows 10 update completed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Exactly.  Non-Microsoft software or older Microsoft software will make a System Restore point as normal but it looks to me as if updates to Windows 10 do not.
chrcoluk
Grafter

on my win10 testing machine system restore was disabled, which I did find odd.
But even after i enabled it I can confirm updates no longer create a restore point.
sjptd
Grafter

On 8.1 and earlier some updates made restore points and others didn't.  Maybe the 10 updates so far have all been the kind that don't need restore points.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: sjptd
Maybe the 10 updates so far have all been the kind that don't need restore points.

You mean the kind that could not possibly ever misbehave on any computer?
sjptd
Grafter

You mean the kind that could not possibly ever misbehave on any computer?
No, I mean the kind that Microsoft considers should never misbehave, and so doesn't make them create a restore point before installing.
(I tend to rely on EaseUS backups rather than restore points anyway, but I notice when it does create restore points because of the extra time it takes.)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm not so much worried about my own computer but about my ability to fix other peoples'.  What can take 10 minutes if there is a restore point before the problem arose can take hours otherwise.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

W10 has only been out a few days.. and already there is a topic about system restore  Shocked
Think I'll be sticking with my trusty old 7....  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

So you can't stop updates and when they release a dodgy one you can't rollback.
I installed 10 on a spare PC yesterday and it's too gimmicky. I'll trim the start menu as a test. What do I want with Candy Crush on a desktop!
When it's new PC time in 2019/20 hopefully it's bedded in.
Let's be careful out there !
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My win 8.1 works with no problems. Cheesy Grin Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
sjptd
Grafter

Mostly Win 10 is pretty much like 8.1 with a start menu (my 8.1 had Classic Start Menu anyway, which I'll probably keep with 10).
One feature of 10 that will be really useful to me is the screen recorder, which seems to work pretty well in all situations I have tried.
I had FRAPS and Nvidia ShadowPlay, but both of those were temperamental and did not work in many situations.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have a dual boot system.  Currently booting to Windows 7 wipes all the Windows 10 restore points but not the other way around.  There is supposed to be a registry hack to Windows 7 that renders the Windows 10 (or 8 ) partition inaccessible but it does not work for me.  I have Acronis True Image installed and I wonder if that overrides the 'Offline' setting (to give itself access to all partitions).