Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Restore and Dual Boot

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

System Restore and Dual Boot

In dual boot systems, booting to one OS can destroy the restore points created by another OS.
AFAIK, booting to XP, Vista or Windows 7  destroys the restore points on later versions of Windows than the version you booted.  I'm not sure if booting to one version of Windows would kill the restore points on another copy of the same version, or if 8 kills 10.
Does anyone know more about this because I cannot find much documentation on this problem.
6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Re: System Restore and Dual Boot

I think I'll just point you to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926185 rather than paraphrase that information myself.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, ejs.  Those instructions are for Windows XP.  I've already got those to work although the downside is that the partition containing the later version of Windows becomes invisible to XP.
In principle you can apply the same method to later versions of Windows but that failed for me.
I cannot find any information about how 8 and 10 get along and whether the problem is only ever in the forward direction (i.e. booting one version of Windows only has an adverse effect on later versions). 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have just tested Windows 10 with another copy of Windows 10 and there doesn't seem to be any problem.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Dual booting is ancient history these days. You're better off just using virtual machines instead.
I used to have several multi boot systems and it was a pain to deal with them all. Remotely rebooting a machine posed a problem in its own right - how do you tell the boot manager which OS to boot back into? - If it is even capable of auto booting.
I lost a 17GB partition once due to a boot manager installation going wrong. It really isn't worth it IMO.
One other good point for VMs is that you can move them from one host machine to another - via ethernet, dvd, thumb drive etc. The downside is that they can't share wifi connections from the same physical machine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So what VM software do you use, 7up?
However, my issue is that I want to be able to connect hard drives from other computers temporarily to my computer.  I want to do that with the minimum of disruption to the guest drive so I don't want to unwittingly destroy restore points.  If it turns out I will always be safe by booting to Windows 10 then that's useful to know.
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to RR'S question to 7up...Is there any useful advice on good VMs about? I want to include Mint or something like it as an alternative to Win7 Pro with a view to going all Linux eventually. Win 10 seems a step too far!