Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology NAS Problem

FIXED
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Synology NAS Problem

Just to add, you can change the mac in windows 10 with the following should it not be possible in the Network Advanced Tab.

net config rdr

Copy the long key to the left of your mac address and search using the following below with your key inserted between the brackets.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{}

When located you will see your card details in the right pain, if your happy it's the correct card etc..
Right click the folder add new string value and save as NetworkAddress, double click the New Value you just made and add the mac (Add the address without semi-colons!) address and restart the machine.

Backup the Registry before-hand!
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Strat wrote:

What's particularly [-Censored-] me off is that a factory reset of the NAS probably wasn't needed

I've used switches for years and just ignored them as they tend to sit in a corner and just work.

FYI.  Switches are somewhat susceptible to the power spike (back EMF) which accompanies the mains coming back on.  Over the last 15 years I've lost a couple of dedicated switches and the switch in a router, after power cuts.  If you can remember, unplug any switches and routers while the power is off.  Even better, invest in a surge protector.

When fault finding networks, it often pays to work methodically from the bottom of the stack (OSI model) upwards.  Check the cables (Layer 1), reboot and check switches (Layer 2), then and only then, start worrying about IP addresses (Layer 3), and finally applications (Layer 7) like file sharing and web browsing.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks for that Smiley

Like I said I always thought of switches and before them hubs as a bit like a 13 amp plug, e.g. it either works or it doesn't.

You live and learn.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine