Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing to Cloud Software

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Syncing to Cloud Software

Has anybody came across software preferably with a GUI that can sync with dav accounts? I got 10 gig free storage with box when I updated the software on my phone. My Ubuntu 1 account is getting low on space until I get some friends to sign up  Roll_eyes Dropbox I keep for work stuff as it's more stable and crosses more mobile platforms.
Thought I would use the 10 gig to cloud my music, unfortunately it doesn't have linux support. I can however set up a dav network connection which mounts at boot up as long as I add it to my favourites in places. Looking for something I can sync my music folder with to the dav folder. So far tried Unison but it doesn't support dav. Just local, ffh and ssh.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Syncing to Cloud Software

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cheers Mate, I have came across a few of these scripts but they are trying to something slightly different to me I think. Problem with Box is you can't sync other folders as you can in dropbox or ubuntu one. You can only sync to your box folder on the computer so I would have to keep all my music in two identical folders. The local box folder and my music folder wasting disc space. Obviously I could just stop using the music folder altogether but I like my music in there. I have came across scripts where you get Unison to sync an online folder so might have to try that, just wondered if there was a app with a gui out there before I got into some code.
Idea is to keep all my music there and just pull them off to my phone or tablet as and when I want them to save space on their memory.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

ln -s ~/Music/<what to share> ~/Box
?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I came across this which seems to be something like I'm after doing. Just would need modified to sync "My Music" folder to the "box music" folder. I guess I could perform multiple scripts to also sync the pictures and videos.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I just use symlinks on my dropbox, works fine for my ebook collection (~6Gb)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Alternately  Grin
1. On the backup computer, mount the first computer as a NFS share.
2. Run rsync
3. If you are paranoid you can use a SSH connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

1. On the backup computer, mount the first computer as a NFS share.

Could you elaborate on that.?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have a look at https://www.digitalocean.com/community/articles/how-to-set-up-an-nfs-mount-on-ubuntu-12-04
it covers pretty much everything I have set up.
A bit tedious - but you only need to do it once.
The client bit is pretty trivial - I only use it locally, but you could use it over the internet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."