Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SyncToy

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

SyncToy

I use SynchToy to synchronise directories between 2 NAS devices, the second NAS is attached to a WiFi access point in another building.
SynchToy starts off well then after about 6 hours grinds to a snails pace and I've found where files have been deleted from the primary NAS, the deletion is not replicated on the secondary NAS.
One Directory (as an example) is around 100GB and contains probably >700,000 files (mainly PDF's), with around 3-4% change between Synchs.
I'm considering switching to FreeFileSynch from sourceforge has anyone any experience with FreeFileSynch.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SyncToy

That is because you have set it to Contribute - using Echo or Synchronise deletes the deleted files
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Seems plausible.
Synctoy is a very fast and efficient tool, but you do need to understand what it does/doesn't do and use with care.
I've set several customers up with it as a backup tool (usually using contribute from their User folders) to an external drive.
It works well in that situation.
journeys
Aspiring Pro

@oldjim and @ HPsauce
Sounds logical, but I've only ever used echo, doing a websearch for NAS and Synctoy, there appear to be some 'known issues', I've been using Synctoy for a number of years (ever since it was called PowerToy)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Looks like the file corruption issue with SyncToy 2.0 and below when used with a NAS drive has been fixed in 2.1.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
journeys
Aspiring Pro

I'm using 2.1, It is NAS to NAS run from an old laptop, the laptop and Primary NAS are on the same hub where as the Secondary NAS is in an adjacent building on a WiFi hub. Sad
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
That is because you have set it to Contribute - using Echo or Synchronise deletes the deleted files

Not always. I gave up using SyncToy maybe two years ago because despite those settings it doens't always do the job properly and either doesn't delete when it should or copies files/folders when it shouldn't.