Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SyncToy

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

SyncToy

Just came across this free program from Microsoft which lets me create automatic backups of folders.
Are any problems known - I am using the contribute option which does the following over the network so that the My Documents folder on one PC is backed up on another - linky
Contribute
New and updated files from the left folder are copied to the right folder.
Files renamed in the left folder are renamed in the right folder.
No files are deleted.
No files are copied from right to left.
9 REPLIES 9
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: SyncToy

Seconded! A great little program.  So good in fact I can't understand why Microsoft doesn't include it as part of windows. Documentation also very good.
I use it in "Synchronise" mode to sync my laptop and PC files; and "Echo" mode to backup (copy) files from my PC to an USB Iomega portable drive.  Much quicker and easier than my old way of using rewritable DVDs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've been using it for a couple of years to keep a folder of documentation synced between the office and home so that I have them available locally when working from home.
Never had a single problem with it - a real Ronseal job!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim.  I just downloaded it, and it looks good.  It took me just a few seconds from install to backup my personal documents on a separate HDD
Great gadget!  Now to let my kids know about it so they can backup their Uni and School work more easily.
John
hulls
Grafter

Whoops.  I just tried to set this to run automatically using the task scheduler in Win XP, but somehow, the scheduler has been turned off, and it won't let me turn it back on again.  I just get a message saying "unable to start the service".  Can anyone help me?
John
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Gimme, gimme...is it available for Vista? or is the Xp version compatible?
That should have the die-hard Xp addicts crowing if it isn't.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Njal
Grafter

Hulls,
Try:
Start, Control Panel, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
Computer Management.
Expand Services and Applications, click Services.
Right-click the Task Scheduler service, and then Properties.
General tab - ensure that the startup type is set to automatic, and service status is Started. If service is not running, click Start.
Log On tab, ensure that the local system account is selected, and that the Allow service to interact with desktop check box has a check mark.
Click OK, and then exit.
Regards,
Neil
PS Thanks for the info Oldjim, looks ideal for backing up photos.
itbookworm
Grafter

According to the link at the top version 1.4 is compatible with Vista.
This was something I have been intending to look for as soon as I found the time. Saved me a lot of bandwith checking out what was around Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Funnily enough I picked it up from the Acronis forum over at wilders as part of a complaint that Acronis wouldn't do it. This has cost Acronis two orders for Acronis 11 - I will stay with 9 and a boot CD.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Njal that fixed it Smiley