Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SyncToy 2.1

FIXED
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

SyncToy 2.1

I've been using this for years but Microsoft no longer support it I hear, and it is very old now. I was going to try a few alternatives but my syncing regime for stuff i don't want in the cloud is a little intricate. Thi seems like a reasonable list

https://alternative.me/synctoy

Does anyone have a strong recommendation based on personal experience. I am syncing some folders  between 2 windows 10 PCs and also an external HDD.

4 REPLIES 4
1066_1066
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: SyncToy 2.1

Fix

I've just been through the same exercise, setting up a sync between Win10 and an external harddrive. Although it takes a bit of nous, I settled on FreeFileSync  - it's open source and only requires a donation to get the full expert features, which I don't need.

I have it set so that my second computer drive (D: - where all of my personal files are kept) is constantly monitored and mirrored to the external drive and that my Thunderbird email folder (in C:\users) is backed up on a schedule (daily at 6 pm).

I haven't looked in to whether it can sync between PC's.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If you install the Linux subsystem in Windows you can use rsync which is designed of synching Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the input.

I had  a look at rsync but with no real data volume in my linux elements, this is too much hassle for a predominantly windows environment. It does look feature rich but not very friendly. Almost all the others I have tried for free won't do proper syncing without a paid licence. 

Your suggestion seems to fit the bill perfectly @1066_1066 so I think that looks the way to go.

Thanks

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@dvorak wrote:
If you install the Linux subsystem in Windows

What?!!!!!

Sweet jesus. I mean i knew you could run linux on windows windows on apple, apple on windows, windows on linux all as vms and then linux apps on windows, windows apps on linux etc etc.. but now you can install the linux subsystem INTO windows?

You can already unplug a processor while the OS is running on some windows systems too (a mate of mine told me about seeing this done in person at a job interview he went for). Makes me wonder whats coming next!!!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!