Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec security suite.....voodoo

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Symantec security suite.....voodoo

I am trying to help a pal ger rid of all traces of the Symantec security suite that was uninstalled some while ago, as messages keep coming up still, I was taken aback by the numerous entries in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that definitely relate to Symantec. Assuming it is OK to delete them, the problem is their number. I can find no way to remove more than one line at a time: it'd be so tedious.With normal deletions one can do several at once, but mot in Regedit. Has any one a solution?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Symantec security suite.....voodoo

Have you had a look at this http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Luzern
Hero

Thanks for that Smiley However it could well be that he no longer has the CD or product key. With so many products listed that could make things somewhat more of a problem.
Keep the suggestions coming!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
barky
Grafter

depending on whats already on the computer  I suggest revo uninstaller
http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2204204/revo-uninstaller
the thorough scan, option 4, should find the symantec marked registry entries - lists them up & you just click the box beside the bold entries
got rid of stubborn remnants of adaware this way,  other things like tuneup utilities missed the entries!
Have too add - delete with care & of course ensure there is a registry backup done first
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: barky
depending on whats already on the computer  I suggest revo uninstaller
the thorough scan, option 4, should find the symantec marked registry entries - lists them up & you just click the box beside the bold entries
got rid of stubborn remnants of adaware this way,  other things like tuneup utilities missed the entries!
Have too add - delete with care & of course ensure there is a registry backup done first
Hilite1: please expand on that. Are there circumstances it should not be used? It's smother person's equipment I'll be playing with.
Hilite 2: have not managed to locate that. Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: lucerne
Thanks for that Smiley However it could well be that he no longer has the CD or product key. With so many products listed that could make things somewhat more of a problem.
Keep the suggestions coming!

No, no, you misunderstand.  You do not need the product key to run the uninstaller, you only need the product key should you be mad enough to want to re-install again afterwards.  The uninstaller is well worth a try. 
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Post removed as it merely repeated the information above.
Not applicable

The problem with Revo is that you would need to reinstall the suite in order for it to do it's job i.e. the Symantec has to appear in  Add/Remove Programmes. Wouldn't have thought that the product key was necessary though as most ISSs have a free trial version.
This is probably how I would tackle it:
Download Revo Uninstaller
Download free version of Symantec
Disconnect from Internet
Uninstall existing security software with Revo - clean up with CCleaner and reboot
Install Symantec and remove with Revo - I always use moderate scan, but you could use the deep one.
This is important - when it asks you to reboot, do not let it - click reboot later.
Allow Revo to find left over registry entries, tick the ones in bold type and delete
Clean up with CCleaner and reboot.
Do another registry scan with CCleaner and remove anything if necessary.
Reinstall security software
Luzern
Hero

@poppy. The product key question was raised out of Sttrat's post.