cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching off router at night

bulb

Switching off router at night

is it ok to switch a Thomson Wireless router off at night?
Its only used between 6 pm and 11pm.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Switching off router at night

Hi there,
It shouldn't really be a probably, although they are essentially designed to be left on all the time.
Lots of people turn them off overnight.
pnf
Grafter

I used to switch my Thomson router off each evening and back on again the following day.  It always connected at the same speed and never caused any problems. 
Since going on to the 21CN trial I have left the router on so as to enable the line to settle to a stable state, but at some point I will go back to switching the router off every evening to see how the new service reacts.
mal0z
Grafter

Switching on, especially from cold  causes rather more stress on electronic components rather than being left on all the time, but it is only very small and won't usually significantly reduce the life of the router - maybe a few days less life over a 5 year total life .
Personally - since getting broadband - I've always turned off the PC and router when not being used, when I go out etc..
Recently since being a member of Plusnet - I've got my trusty Netgear 834 and the newer Thomson 585v7 and  tried both leaving it on, and turning of router and it made no discernible difference in sync speed either way. I think other factors such as line noise levels etc etc have far more impact.
Some people here have reported always leave the router on 24/7 - others don't .
Personal preference I guess.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Like mal said, you might shorten the life by a few days... in its many year life span but most routers are such solid little devices I wouldn't worry about it.
Having said that mine is always left on - never gets turned off at all. It doesn't really cost on the electric bill to be honest. Fair enough there is the enviroment to consider but then the government don't worry about updating 500,000 PCs in the DWP at night. They really do waste energy that bunch and then they ask us not to leave TVs on standby? Cheesy
Personally my router is a cheap old £8 job off ebay. no upnp or anything remotely fancy but it does the job pretty well. I do have to reboot it once every month or two when it seems to slow down but thats it. It gets left on 24/7.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!